• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 to 231 swap

graVes14

NAXJA Forum User
I know this has been questioned repeatedly adn I have already read all the threads i could find. My question is about how one would acutally go about making the swap? I have a 242 and am tired of it taking so long to switch form 4x4-2x4. And as i never use 4x4 "full time" i dont really need it. So are there any write-ups on this that ive just missed? i dont really know how what is involved in this swap.

any help is appreciated

pat

Just un-bolt the 242 and install the 231(6 bolts),the only thing you need to know is the spline count and length.

It would also be helpfull to get the 231 shift gate, indicator, and possibly the shift too. Other than that it's pretty straight forward as mentioned above.

Personally I'm a fan of the 242. With my Jeep I have very little DS vibe in full time and quite a bit in 2wd so always run it in full time. On the other hand the 231 is quite a bit more compact and stronger to boot. But unless you've broke it I don't see a big advantage to dumping it.

B-loose

Bloose said:
It would also be helpfull to get the 231 shift gate, indicator, and possibly the shift too. Other than that it's pretty straight forward as mentioned above.

Personally I'm a fan of the 242. With my Jeep I have very little DS vibe in full time and quite a bit in 2wd so always run it in full time. On the other hand the 231 is quite a bit more compact and stronger to boot. But unless you've broke it I don't see a big advantage to dumping it.

B-loose

there is very little difference in size of the 2 and like the man said, get the shifter and plate too. they are a bit different

Yep... I did this back awhile ago (after installing a replacement 242 that blew a hole in it's case a few feet from the install site...) by then I was good at getting at those upper case-to-tranny nuts. I think I had that fragged case out and the 231 bolted in under an hour.

Stubby wrenches were my friend.

I forget if I re-used the linkage rod from the 242 or 231... maybe they are the same? grab the one with the new case just to be sure.

My 231 case was from a vacuum-axle MJ, so it had the vac switch on the output. I just capped the ports with some vac. hose... The 242 sends an electric signal to light the dash light... I used the KISS principle, and just left that part undone (I 'think' I can tell when it's in 4WD)

xjnation said:
there is very little difference in size of the 2

Actually the 242 is quite a bit larger. It hangs down a few inches more than a 231.

B-loose

I know this has been covered before but I just completed it and wanted to post pictures in case it might help someone out.
I picked up a used 231 out of a 2003 TJ with 18000 miles. The ZJ I have is a 1994 4.0 and using the 249. I also am running the Ford 8.8 rear diff with disk brakes. I have a 5” lift so I wanted to use an Advanced Adapters SYE kit for a couple of reasons. Not just for the drive line angles but I also did not want a slip yoke that sucks dirt in the seal all the time and causes it to leak. The SYE kit solves that problem because it has a flange and is also over 4” shorter with the kit installed. When I picked up this ZJ it had a mix of Tera, RE, and JKS control arms. I really wanted to move to all RE stuff along with the Mono Tube shocks. I have used this setup on other jeeps and it works great. The Tera and the JKS bushings were shot so it was a great time for an upgrade anyway. I went down to All J Products in Colton CA and they had everything I needed to get this job done. They also use the J.E. Reel driveshaft. And Quinn was able to find the 231 tcase for me. We pulled the 249 tcase out and by chance it had the same length input shaft on both the 231 and the 249. Those shafts have to be the same. The 249 input shaft will fit in the 231 case but you have to be sure of the right gear cut and also the spline count on the input shaft. There seems to be an older 21 count spline and the newer 23. The 249 and 231 I had both had the 23 spline count. Also the shift lever is different from both of these cases. You have to use the right one…Be sure to use the lever that came with the tcase. The short one if the 231 and the longer one is the 249. You can not use the longer lever from the 249 on the 231… it will fit but will not allow the 231 to shift right. I used the same shifter and just changed the little plastic shifter pattern plate just for the right look. Did not even have to make any shifter adjustments at all. Pulled the 249 out…installed the SYE kit in the 231…installed the 231 in the ZJ. Measured for the new drive shaft and called it in . Had it the same day and installed it. Filled the case, ordered the new shift pattern plate from the dealer and everything worked great. Set the new pinion angle in the rear and took it for a test drive…no vibes at all. I know this has been covered a few times but just wanted to give an update on the swap. Was a very easy swap to do and had no problem at all. Later...Clint

231a.jpg

249a.jpg

231b.jpg

249b.jpg

231c.jpg

249c.jpg

231d.jpg

249d.jpg

Bloose said:
Actually the 242 is quite a bit larger. It hangs down a few inches more than a 231.

B-loose

But on a Cherokee it's just splititng hairs, there's plenty of room for either. Plus with I've never hung up on my t-case skid. The 8.25 diff is another story...

B-loose

Bloose said:

B-loose

picture.JPG

my 95 with a 242 distance from bottom of cross member to lowest spot on the TC is 3/8"

picture.JPG

on an 87 231 is distance is 1-1/8". the difference is only 3/4" in drop
both still are above the cross member enough to use one of my full width skidplates

When I bought my skid plate the first one that was sent to me was for a XJ W/231. It was basically a flat piece from the frame rail to the cross member. No way it would even come close to fitting. When they sent me the correct one it was stepped down to clear the 242. It's stepped down about 2 inches. Like I said though, on an XJ it's not a big deal either way.

B

Bloose said:
When I bought my skid plate the first one that was sent to me was for a XJ W/231. It was basically a flat piece from the frame rail to the cross member. No way it would even come close to fitting. When they sent me the correct one it was stepped down to clear the 242. It's stepped down about 2 inches. Like I said though, on an XJ it's not a big deal either way.

B

I guess ya shold bought mine LOL.

Back