• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine won't idle after rebuild. Long!

brokexj

NAXJA Member #1165
OK, here is the background. 2.8L, .030 over, Edelbrock cam, 4 barrel intake and Holley 8007 (390cfm). New fuel pump, double fuel filters, fuel pressure about 4 PSI. Distributer verified to be at correct position, not 180 out, wires run correctly (firing order wise), Engine at TDC for all timing settings. Carb has a fresh rebuild, did not have any settings on the idle screws so they started out at 1-1/2 turns out each. Engine has 40-60 psi oil pressure at 2000 rpms. Float settings on carb set at below sight plug threads, spark plugs have a sooty appearence to them but engine has not run for more than 3 minutes since rebuild so that could be the assembly lube/oil. Vacuum ports are plugged, carb cleaner sprayed at every joint of intake, carb, all available vacuum ports with no change in RPM. Engine starts immediately, will not idle below 2K, with idle stop screw adjusted out, it will die unless you keep giving it gas. Engine has NO emission's. Alternator charging, battery at 12V, passes load test. Wiring harness looks to be OK, not broken vital wires that I can feel/see. Coil is Accel 140008, hooked up correctly. Tried it with an air cleaner and without, no change.

OK, mechanics, what am I missing? This is driving me nuts because I am sure that is something simple. The idle adjustments screw on th Holley have cork gaskets, is this right? No change in rpm with carb cleaner sprayed on them so I can't imagine that's the leak. I have tried the distributor at the full range (advance/retard) with no change in the ability to idle. Any help would be great unless it has something to do with selling and buying an 87 or later XJ.

4 psi of fuel pressure sounds extremely low. I know at work sometimes on a crank no start I have to check for fuel pressure.I usually get in the neighborhood of about 35-45 psi. depending on the vehicle ,you may want to look into that

To: BLSXJ - Plugs have a black sooty appearence. Plug wires are Accell 8.8's (new), hasn't run long enough to break in.

To: LT1 - Fuel PSI on a carbureted engine should be between 4-7PSI as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the ideas.

Here's the question....you said the plugs are sooty...does the exhaust smoke black??? if so its way rich...carb flooding, etc....4 psi fuel pressure is fine...is a carb not fuel injection (which run a MUCH higher fuel pressure)...you have excellent oil pressure, so the rotating assembly is most likely ok...

My bet (sooty plugs..dry fluffy deposit...plugs smell stronly of gas) is a problem with the carb since it sounds like you have covered the ignition system pretty well...if the plugs are oily and you have white exhaust smoke...i'd suspect a vacuum leak at the intake where the vacuum pulls in air and oil from the lifter galley.

To: Muddawg - No smoke from the exhaust. Plugs have a black appearance (just realized I had spelling that wrong all along!) but no deposits on them. I haven't ruled out the too much fuel aspect of it, but I'm not getting any flooding and no fuel from the sight plugs unless I try and slosh the jeep around, then not much. I can't say for sure on the smell of gas on the plugs and I am not home so I can't verify that until tomorrow. I can say when I pulled the #1 plug this morning, it didn't hit me as having the strong gas smell and I was right on it, but I will check that. Any vacuum ports below the intake? I know dumb question, but I am trying to find something. Thanks for the ideas.

Whatever the issue may be, I'd recommend not running it that way at all right now- bolt a known good carb on there or something. The extra fuel will wash the oil off the bores and really tear up your brand new engine. So, I'm sure you're trying to do exactly this, but fix it before you run it more!

Come on...don't keep it to yourself....what was wrong???????????

The book said keep the valve lash at 1-1/2 turns, I backed them off to 1 turn and started with the idle screws all the way out, bumped the electric choke to the rich side, replaced the fuel and added gas treatment, flushed the lines, replaced all the fuel filters, and did the start my engine dance in the back yard. It started and now runs as smooth as silk. I will post pics as soon as I get them.

Back