• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny help

big cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
well i just picked up a 86 cherokee, it has at automatic and crappy v6 in it.
what im wondering is the auto a aw4 or is it not even worth trying to keep.
i want to put it in my other cherokee with a 4.0 leter. im just wondering what all i will need like a flex plate or what from a 4.0 or if this thing is even worth the time.

no (easy) way to get it on the 4.0. but the AW4 is a cheap swap and easy if you manually control the electronics. I swapped from a Peugeot to an AW4 and found several people giving aways 87-90 AW4s. here is my thread about swapping the AW4 with manual controls: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242965

The tranny from the '86 is a chrysler 904....it will not work with a 4.0... the bellhousing pattern isn't even close...the only thing that tranny will work with is the 2.8 (or any other GM 4 cyl or v-6 engine that shares that bellhousing pattern AND the flexplate will bolt to...aside from internal/external engine balancing issues) or the mighty 2.5..

The 904 is not puny....but it isn't nearly as stout as a AW-4. Do like Brett sez...get a good 4.0/AW-4/231...there are other issues relating to a 2.8 to 4.0 swap you will need to address. use the search feature here to look up the info...it's too lenghtly to rechew on this thread.

If you are gonna scrap the old tranny and the 207 TC give me a PM..I'm always looking for spares/cores for the ole Heep.. :repair:

Last edited:
Back