• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

well, you warned me...

MMIXJ

NAXJA Forum User
so despite all of the warnings here that said to stay away from Rocky Road, i went ahead
and ordered some BPEs from them after they told me they were in stock and would ship in
2 days... that was 12 days ago. and of course i need them for EJS this week. :gonnablow:

anyway, the question is-- can i re-use the bar pins at least temporarily from my old shocks
on the new ones? i saw a write up on the JKS site about how to get the bar pins out; can i
assume that to put them in new shocks i do the reverse?

live & learn i suppose. so much for giving people the benefit of the doubt. (n)

add my name to the list of people screwed by RRO...
:smsoap:

i've reused mine on three sets of shocks and no problems yet, so i don't see why not.

there easy to remove & reuse. Just lube em up with something like WD40 or PB blaster, then find a socket or piece of tube that's bigger ID than the bar-pin, but catches the bushing...(or if ya have access to one, open a vise up a similar distance and lay the shock up there) couple of love taps with your favorite abuse tool and they should pop right out. The install is the opposite.

thanks for the replies... got the bar pins out of the old shocks easily enough. :)

now next question: these new shocks (OME YJ front) have some kind of metal sleeve insert and metal caps
on the lower eye; the bar pin isn't gonna go through that. do i just pop the caps off and
remove that sleeve somehow first? i don't want to destroy that bushing...

subsequently when i do install the BPEs later, do i re-use the sleeve and caps?

thanks.

Just a heads up...

The Rocky Road BPEs didn't fit properly on the front shocks of a friend's 96. Right, BlackSport96? :D

nope, i just got the RRO BPEs, as they're longer than the JKS versions...

fwiw, i got the bar pins installed in my new OME shocks after all; what i thought were metal
caps was just the painted bushing-- the sleeve popped right out.

so at least i'm good for moab for now, though i wonder if i'll ever see my parts from RRO.

maybe i'll have to pay them a visit while in utah... ;)

oops... spoke too soon.

while the bar pins went in easily to the new shock bushings, once i added the washers on
either side from the old shocks, the slot on the pin for the retainer clip was nowhere to be
found (i.e. inside the bushing).

i can't compress the pin using the big socket method 'cuz i need to put the retainer clip on.

what to do? can i run w/o the washers?

thanks in advance.

Back