• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Leaf Conversion--> Waggy or YJ?

cLAYH

NAXJA Forum User
So for those that have done it which do you think is better? From what I understand the Waggys are 2" longer. Are they the same width as a YJ?

How much(aprox) lift does each give?

same width, 2.5 wide

the YJs have a centered pin, the Waggys are offset with the short side being the same length as a YJ and the long side being 2 inches longer.

stock YJ springs will net about 4 inches of lift. stock Waggy springs will net about 6 inches of lift. this is of course dependent on things like where you mount the spring and shackle, what engine you have, if you have a heavy winch and bumper, etc. but a good base-line.

for junkyard springs I would far prefer the Waggy, the stock YJs are way too soft. if you're looking at aftermarket lift springs there are far more offerings for YJs. my 3.5" YJ springs from BDS give about 7", are double military wrapped, flex great, were pretty cheap, and have a lifetime no question warranty. I highly recommend BDS.

I am in the process of this right now. I'm using the 7 leaf waggy springs with a long waggy leaf added into the pack. Once all is said and done it should sit just about level front to rear (I did rear SOA on it...MJ) and I'm looking at about 7" of lift. (ford 9" rear with MORE perches added about 1.5-2" of lift in with the SOA itself giving about 5"...so 7" approx total)
I used the stock waggy shackle BUT it's a little too short for where I mounted the shackle hangers so I'm going with a slightly longer shackle to get the shackle angle right.

Hopefully will know what she'll do in a few weeks once we swap motors.

Brett's advice on this setup has helped me quite a bit.

Thanks guys! Waggy leafs it is! They are easier to find then YJs anyway and I think that they are close enough in length that if I decide to go with YJ BDS down the road it won't be a big deal.

Now about shackles, longer will give me more lift but will hang down lower and catch on things. I plan to make my own. What is a good length? What is the longest you can do before the geometry gets stupid?

I am running a shorty shackle that I got from 4wheelparts, it is 4in eye to eye. My angle is about 43*.

I am using some waggy springs from a junk yard. I pulled out the bottom leaf and replaced it with a add-a-leaf. For the rear I used a mix of stock xj/52in chevy leafs. I am level and at about 7in of lift.

Back