• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's Coil Question

BigDawgz

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking about selling my new Rusty's 8.5"-9" coils to get some skyjacker 8" coils. I guess my question would be....do the Rusty's really run closer to 9"......or closer to an actual 8" coil? Anyone with any experience with these could save me alot of hassles to sell / ship / buy / ship or the trouble of pulling / installing / pulling / installing the coils more than I have to already.

If the Rusty's run closer to an actual 8"...they'd work out fine for me....but if not....they'll be a lil too big. I'm at about 8.5" in the rear...when loaded with spares, tools, cooler, straps, etc....I have Tj flares all the way around with lots of trimming and I'm not afraid to trim some more either. I'm running a 35" tire on this set-up and plan to stay there for a lil while.

Also...I did a few searches on here and I've found several different answers for the actual spring rate of the Rusty's. I've seen on Rusty's site....he says 180lb...which I figured was wrong...On another post somebody said 250lb.....and I've also been told the original box says 220lb. I didn't receive mine in a box. I've always heard that the skyjacker was a better performing coil for off-road usage...and this one is mainly a toy...with occasional street jaunts. Sorry so long.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Aron

Look for a post by Crash regarding spring rates. Maybe 1-2 weeks ago, I believe it was in the same thread as some of the info you found. There is a link to calculate the spring rate based on wire size, wraps, etc.

From what I remember people though Rusty's were a little soft. Cutting a wrap off would probably get the height you want while increasing the spring rate. The cacl will help you figure out how close they will be to the skyjackers.

Not sure about about Rusty's, but I know you can call Skyjacker and have springs made for different spring rates.

Thanks Lincoln....I must've missed that link while searching.

91 Jeep Project ...I was really wanting a coil with right around 8"

hoytinak.....thanks for the info too.

Thanks for the responses,
Aron

Well....I've just heard alot of good talk by guys running the 8" Skyjacker's and I was curious as to how they and the Rusty's 8.5-9" and the RE 7.5" coils stacked up against each other in the areas of spring rate and actual lift height. I was wanting a fairly soft set of coils up front.....I myself like them to be pretty flexy and my 4.5" RE's are ok, but I'd prefer some that flexed a little bit better. I'm running Rusty's lower CA's and I'm getting ready to change both the uppers and the lowers. I was just wondering if there were any flexier coils out there in the 8" range...since that's what size I really need.
Plus....since I already have a new set of Rusty's sitting here....I was also wanting to hear from anyone with any experience with those as well. I might just go ahead and use these...but I have found a used set of Skyjackers available here in Indiana.

Thanks for all the responses,
Aron

Back