• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Excessive Fuel Consumption....

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok a friend called and wanted to know what would cause his 88 to gulp gass. We jsut finished a tranny swap from the pukegoat to the AW-4. I was thinking O2 sensor, or fuel rail O rings, or the fuel pressure regulator. Anythougths?

Btt.....

When I snapped the plastic hose that runs from the pass-side of the throttle body up to the MAP sensor on the center of the firewall, I was rewarded with a 50% reduction in MPG (from 20 to 10) and a very poor running 88 4.0l..

Is it possible y'all unhooked or damaged this pipe while messing with/plugging in the CPS on the new tranny?

I have a '90 with Auto tranny and 35's. I was getting 12mpg, then changed to K&N intake which brought me up to 13mpg... I think the rig should get at least 15 with mixed driving so Im still in search of a better solution.

Check the O2 sensor, I've read a few threads on the forum where a bad sensor has killed mileage. Im going to replace mine soon and see if it helps..

I just did an O2 sensor on my 92 and the idle smoothed out, I lost the hesitation, the stumble when I punch it and there is alot less exhaust coming out the back. I only did it on Thurs so I don't have a new mpg figure but I hope it better than the 10 mpg was getting earlier

Ghost, just fishing here but what about the tranny computer. Is there a difference in the two computers (pukegoat & AW-4) that could be causing a problem.

HossHoffer said:
Ghost, just fishing here but what about the tranny computer. Is there a difference in the two computers (pukegoat & AW-4) that could be causing a problem.

We swapped to the Auto engine and tranny coputer. He was running it open but now has a cat that seems to have help.

Back