• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how high before fr driveshaft needs to be addressed?

Probably not. Because it's a link suspension, the axle moves rearward as it droops, or as the lift amout increases. With a very tall lift, and short arms, you might actually have to shorten the front shaft.

It's likely that it won't be a concern.

I am at 8" and never once touched the front DS. I do not have a TCase drop either, just had the SYE for the rear. The front has a lot more play since the axel does move rearward as Goatman mentioned. The best thing to do is get the lift on and engage it in 4x4 on the lift and see how the front shaft moves. I have had my lift for 2 yrs and never once had any problems with the DS's, hope that makes you feel a little better! Good luck, make sure and post some 8" pics for us crazy XJ lovers!! Daniel

At the risk of restating the obvious, but, just in case: while the D/S won't need to be replaced, at that height you would certainly need adjustable control arms (if you don't already have them at 5.5) to keep your wheelbase and overall front end geometry in shape!

Mike in NJ :patriot:

The big deal is how your control arms travel and how you set the wheelbase. I have 8" of lift with a D44 front and long arms, and it is perfect. Because I have long arms, I have a stock wheelbase because the arc of motion is almost straight up and down. Many people pull the wheelbase back an inch or so (the same effect as a 1" longer D44 pinion) to prevent too much forward swing of the axle with short arms. This can lead to running out of compression travel.

All in all, you should be fine with a properly set up 8" lift.

Nay

Back