• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new stroker help

BLSXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'll start with what I've got. a 91 XJ sport. the stroker is built out of a renix block and a 91 head. the block was align honed and bored .030. the head was ground .010 and a 3 angle valve job was done. the motor was balanced as well. I used 258 crank(light) and connecting rods with sealed power 677 pistons with matching moly rings. a comp cams 68-235-4 cam. and 24lb accel injectors bored TB and spacer stockair box and filter. Banks torque tube and dynomax cat back.

the actual install went pretty good. but I had some issues with timing ( i was one tooth out). I've done my 1/2 hour break in.
here's my problem

If I get on it then let off it dies. the spark plugs are just covered in black sout. and I can smell gas like I'm at a gas staion (no leaks) right now there is 24lb injectors in it. (stock was 21lb)

I feel like I should try the old 21lb injectors but I don't want to mess to computer up again or run it to lean. Is there any way I can lean it out across the whole throtle range?

Are all the vacuum lines hooked up to the intake manifold (especially the one from the MAP sensor)? Check for vacuum leaks and check the voltage from the middle wire coming from the MAP sensor when the engine's idling. It should be somewhere around 2.0v. A bad MAP sensor could cause the condition you describe.
Also check the fuel pressure at the injector rail Schrader valve with the engine idling. It should be ~30-31psi with the vacuum attached to the fuel pressure regulator and ~39-40psi with the vacuum removed.
Post the results so we can analyze them.

Last edited:
well I drove her home today. after leting it idle for 25 min

on the way back I went from 60 to 100 and then back a few times. she runs real good at 2500rpm+ but when I have to come to a stop it just dies. I noticed my intake/exhaust gasket spraying out gas from around the #1 exhuast port. I'll try cranking her down some more.

from 1000rpm up to 2500prm under load it seems to pulsate.

may just need a litlle more time.

does a map adjuster effect idle?

Alright I checked my vaccum I got 22"hg and when I covered the TB with my hand it died.

I checked the MAP sensor middle wire. it hovered just above 2V at 900rpm.

I havent checked the fuel rail pressure but I will when I get to school on monday but I didn't mess with any thing but the fuel injectors so I'm pretty sure i'm ok there.

after reading the mopar jeep engines book it seemslike i'm only having an issue in open loop mode.

so I traced all my problems to some faulty plug wires. I'll drive it all week then change the oil. I'm also going to track down the stff need for a MAP adjuster to help open loop operation

Back