• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harmonic balancer,Oil leaking out of bolt

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
prepaired to remove balancer and when removed bolt oil ran out ?are these cranks hollow ?Yes i know they arn.t but why the oil? have I uncovered another problem?
Wayne

It looks like you've uncovered a leaking front main seal in the timing cover. Not uncommon on high mileage 4.0's and the cure is to replace the defective seal. It can be done without removing the timing cover from the block but the old seal can sometimes be a real biatch to pry out.

Thanks,One more item to add to the list.This balancer went back and i could not see the notch on the edge because it was under the timing mark.Hope it didn,t eat the cover.
of course the bolt is too long in the puller I have so i will have to fix that before I can see what else is bad.
Wayne

Once you get the balancer off, you'll know if it's eaten into the timing cover. You can get a cheap junkyard replacement timing cover if necessary.

So many leaks!

I love my Cherokee, but why do they have to leak so much!!? I replaced the Rear main seal a couple months ago, which was a bitch. I am still losiþg wuite a bit of fluid though. After inspecting the engine after a degreasing, I have found several more leaks. It appears that someone has epoxied the front timing cover before, so that one should have been fixed, but it leajs fbim the öront cover I believe. It also leaks from the valve cover gasket, oil filler, breather tube, oi|&filter adaptor`ind the`GRE@KIN`kead gasket. Where doer/it end!? To add to this frustration, both differentials have seeps asgo the transmission and`|ransfer#case seals. The rear driveshaft has sprayed oil all over the underside near the slip joint and rear yoke. Even the steering stabilizer leaks. To add to everything I have that same passenger side firewall lwater leak I kämp hearing `bou4)and the floor is rtstind. Damnot Chrysler learn to make a seal.

Alot of those leaks can be directly attributed to excessive crank case pressure. Build pressure up and the oil has to go somewhere. Also poor maintenance and sludge build up will cause the oil to not drain back to the oil pan fast enough, result is you get a high tide in the valve cover...ccv sucks it up and gradually plugs the lines.

Back