• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ to XJ axle swap?? Correct me if im wrong.

woodkrawler

NAXJA Forum User
My 90 Xj has the d35 and we all know how bad it is, but my grandmother has a 98 XJ with the 29 spline 8.25 under it with no intensions of ever lifting it or even towing with it. With her approval im going to swap axles between the XJs. I think i've thought of everything that could be an issue but please tell me if im missing something. Both jeeps are non-abs, both 3.55 gearing, good rear brakes. My only concern is the E-brake set-up, later models are alittle different, but i plan on leaving her cables in tack and just snapping them into the d35s drums. The brakes should be the same, i think? To me it seems as though she will never know the difference but i will when im not changing d35 shafts on the trail in the mud.

Thanks
Lincoln

woodkrawler said:
My 90 Xj has the d35 and we all know how bad it is, but my grandmother has a 98 XJ with the 29 spline 8.25 under it with no intensions of ever lifting it or even towing with it. With her approval im going to swap axles between the XJs. I think i've thought of everything that could be an issue but please tell me if im missing something. Both jeeps are non-abs, both 3.55 gearing, good rear brakes. My only concern is the E-brake set-up, later models are alittle different, but i plan on leaving her cables in tack and just snapping them into the d35s drums. The brakes should be the same, i think? To me it seems as though she will never know the difference but i will when im not changing d35 shafts on the trail in the mud.

Thanks
Lincoln
You can take appart the brakes, remove the brake cable and swap it: currently my 44 (From an 89 or so) is working just fine with the cables from my 98. Also when a buddy swapped out his older 8.25 (27 spline) for a 29 spline, I'm we swapped just the axle and reused his brake cables on it as well.

Kejtar said:
You can take appart the brakes, remove the brake cable and swap it: currently my 44 (From an 89 or so) is working just fine with the cables from my 98. Also when a buddy swapped out his older 8.25 (27 spline) for a 29 spline, I'm we swapped just the axle and reused his brake cables on it as well.

thats what i was thinking...thanks for the help.

lincoln

The drive shafts are diffrent lenths. The 8.25 shaft is 1" shorter than the 35

robz95xj said:
The drive shafts are diffrent lenths. The 8.25 shaft is 1" shorter than the 35

yeah i thought about that too, but have the d35 driveshaft out of my xj that ill just put into hers, that should be fine.

thanks
lincoln

woodkrawler said:
yeah i thought about that too, but have the d35 driveshaft out of my xj that ill just put into hers, that should be fine.

thanks
lincoln

Your T-case output housings will be different, so you'll probably have to swap slip yokes as well.

The u-bolts are a different width,3" on the 8.25.Won,t be a problem if both Jeeps are in the same place,if not be sure to take the U-bolts with the axle.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
The u-bolts are a different width,3" on the 8.25.Won,t be a problem if both Jeeps are in the same place,if not be sure to take the U-bolts with the axle.
Wayne

Wayne,

Both jeeps will be at the same place so u-bolts shouldn't be an issue, but thanks anyways.

Lincoln

woodkrawler said:
Wayne,

Both jeeps will be at the same place so u-bolts shouldn't be an issue, but thanks anyways.

Lincoln

along with the d/shaft u-joint cap straps, the axle u-bolts are something that really shouldnt be re-used.. they stretch when they are torqued down... they are available at Napa and other parts shops locally.. look in your yellow pages for a cuastom spring shop.. our local guy will make custom u-bolts for $18 a set.... other than that it's a good swap and yoy already know about the e-brake cable issue... another thing i learned recently when i did the same swap.. the 8.25 will give you 3/4" of lift because the axle tube is bigger and the spring perch is a little taller...

erikrs301 said:
at least put a note in the glove box about the swap so when granny goes to get her rear brakes change the mechanic doesn't try to install the wrong stuff. ;)

obviously not all axles are not made equal.. or ARE equal. Im saying, yer putting a 8 year older axle in your g-ma's jeep ! It's gonna fail sooner, need work sooner, etc etc.

Its not too much more to buy a 8.25 somewhere and upgrade it in yours. I Saw one with a factory trac loc for sale the other day for $175. Plus it'd be less work, since you'll only have to swap in one axle.

Back