• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Tank Options 1988

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
Does any one know what was the size of the optional fuel tank in 1988 ?
I thought I had the 14 gallon tank, but I just fueled up and it took 16.8 gallons. If I'm getting hosed when I'm already spending 2.07 a gallon, there is going to be a fireball on State St.
Thanks for any help

The standard tank in 1988, at least up to the Pioneer model (which I bought new) was 13.5 gallones. The 20-gallon tank was optional on the Pioneer and may have been standard on the Chief and Laredo models.

Yes, and in 1990 20gal tanks were standard according to my dealership.Not sure if they did it that year or '89 though.
I've found depending on how you fill your tank, you can squeeze more than the rated into it, at least onmy 20gal I can.

Yes I would think you could squeeze more, but 5 gallons. I had to have at least a gallon left. Mine is the Pioneer so may be it is the optional tank. I have never ran it out of gas , so I'm not sure how far you can go once the little indicator light starts switching on and off.

boise49ers said:
Yes I would think you could squeeze more, but 5 gallons. I had to have at least a gallon left. Mine is the Pioneer so may be it is the optional tank. I have never ran it out of gas , so I'm not sure how far you can go once the little indicator light starts switching on and off.

the indicator light comes on at about 1/8 tank on my 88 I had driven atleast 60 miles on several occasions without any problems.

If you really wish to know, get a gas can fill it with 5 gallons and then run your tank empty, when the light starts to come on set the trip odo to 0 and run the jeep till it dies, then you know exactly how many miles you can go. then use the gas can to fill it.

xjnation said:
the indicator light comes on at about 1/8 tank on my 88 I had driven atleast 60 miles on several occasions without any problems.

If you really wish to know, get a gas can fill it with 5 gallons and then run your tank empty, when the light starts to come on set the trip odo to 0 and run the jeep till it dies, then you know exactly how many miles you can go. then use the gas can to fill it.

Been thinking of doing this with mine, since the tank and fuel sender are newly put in, but not good to run it down too low as any impurities etc that may be in the tank will be put through teh fuel line. I don't go less than 1/8th if I can, and have only had my light come on once. SHould do this at least once so I know how far I can really push it.

Ok so if my indicator light flashes I probably have about an 8th of a tank. So if it took 16.8 gallons I must have a 20 gallon tank. That was what I was looking for info wise. Thanks

Back