• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Box Bolt Question

cloudswimmer

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I'm a little confused here on the torque specs for the three steering box bolts.I'm putting on a rigid bumper, and c-rok inner plate.Rigid says 78-80 ftlbs, and c-rok 190 ftlbs. thats quite a difference!Does anybody know the proper torque spec for these?Thanks!..........................Chris

cloudswimmer said:
Ok, I'm a little confused here on the torque specs for the three steering box bolts.I'm putting on a rigid bumper, and c-rok inner plate.Rigid says 78-80 ftlbs, and c-rok 190 ftlbs. thats quite a difference!Does anybody know the proper torque spec for these?Thanks!..........................Chris
"C-ROk says 190 ft*lbs"???
Really?
Musta been drinkin'
Our install instructions say to refer to the FSM.

C-ROK and the FSM manual now say 65ft*lbs.

C-ROK said:
"C-ROk says 190 ft*lbs"???
Really?
Musta been drinkin'
Our install instructions say to refer to the FSM.

C-ROK and the FSM manual now say 65ft*lbs.

Yeah Greg thats what you told me when I talked to you on the phone :D Actually what you said was 'you don't use a torque wrench yourself but you just tighten them real snug by feel, but it was probably around 190lbs.' I don't know if you remember but when I said '190lbs?' you said 'yeah there on there tight'
Don't mean to sound like I'm discrediting anybody here, just want to make sure I
get it right.I don't have a FSM so thats why I'm asking this here. :confused1

I don't torque mine.........they're REAL good-n-tight.

The key is to check them often.........just can't say that enough. Once you have everthing really reinforced in there they will stay tight, but you should still keep checking them.

maybe he said 100 or 90...i haven't ever saw anything on the jeep that needed 190 ft-lbs, even the wheel lug nuts say only 70-75

yeah, 75 ftlbs is good. that's what i used on my bolts. did you get the inner and outer plates? my inner plate seemed to rub on the steering box so i had to take it off. sorry to get off topic, but GREG, yeah, the steering box had extra stuff on it so it rubbed on the inner plate. i havent gotten around to grinding the stuff off yet, but sometime soon hopefully. oh, and i'll get that write up to you soon hopefully. i was off on a business trip for the better part of the month.

53guy said:
yeah, 75 ftlbs is good. that's what i used on my bolts. did you get the inner and outer plates? my inner plate seemed to rub on the steering box so i had to take it off. sorry to get off topic, but GREG, yeah, the steering box had extra stuff on it so it rubbed on the inner plate. i havent gotten around to grinding the stuff off yet, but sometime soon hopefully. oh, and i'll get that write up to you soon hopefully. i was off on a business trip for the better part of the month.

Are you sure you got it on right?Dont see how that plate would rub.

yeah, pretty sure. the flat part against the frame, the spacers towards the steering box, right? when i looked at my stock inside spacer, it's got like this dip on two of the sides of the triangle. so like, i donno, the spacer was designed to compensate for the steering box maybe. i'm confused, cuz, it seems like my cherokee is the bastard cherokee from jeep, lol, it's strangly different from other cherokees around it. but it's all good, i'm fixing the problem anyhow. let you know how it turns out when i'm finished.

Back