• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help Asap!!!

92xj

NAXJA Forum User
92 4L 6 cyl motor. new starter all fuses are still perfect. getting no power to starter i guess. I turn the key to the on position and every comes on as normal then turn to crank and I get nothing. no sounds no click, nothing. any ideas? please help

Assuming its an auto, I'm calling neutral safety switch. Put the Jeep in neutral and try again. If not, wiggle (technical term) the shifter in park or neutral and see if she fires. My .02. Post back up when you get it started.

MIke

Did it give you trouble before the starter install? Sometimes the NSS is so bad it won't even try.

MIke

It cranked fine with the old starter the past couple of days when i started it and just yesterday it does nothing.

no corrosion, its a red top, and good clean connections, everything else works just fine and all the lights are bright as can be

A couple of quick troubleshooting tricks. Take a set of jumper cables and hook the red to the + on the battery and the other red end to the power lug on the starter. It should crank when you touch it. If it doesn't the starter is bad, unless the ground on the starter is bad. To test that you hook the black to the negative on the battery and the other black to the case of the starter.

If it cranks that way, there are two common problems. The starter relay can cause the problem. It is where the large cable from the starter connects. Another large lead from the battery also connect to it. Just to check out the wires aren't corroded or broken, jump the two cable terminals on the relay with a jumper cable or I've used the handles on a pair of pliers. If it doesn't crank then, but it did with the jumpers, your battery cables are corroded or broken.

If I remember right, there are two green push on terminals on the starter relay. I pull the cable off of the lower connector and jumper the terminal to the battery plus. If the starter and cables are fine, as well as the relay, it should crank.

If that last step passes, you have an electrical problem on the control side, not the power side. Things in that loop are the keyswitch, wiring, bulkhead connector, and on an automatic, the Neutral Safety Switch.

Good luck.

Still sounds like NSS to me..

I'd try a few more times wiggling in park and neutral while holding the key to start position.

it will crank with a jump box with the ground to the block and the positive to the stud on the starter with the smaller of the two wires. and it cranked fine 2 days ago with no problem or hesitation.

well, i checked the battery connections and they were fine and the cable that goes straight from the battery to the started is getting power

SPOBI ----- CPS will not keep it from cranking.

Back