• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading the front clip

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
Somebody is offering me the front clip from their XJ, it's one of the last couple years they were made. Could it be swapped onto a 1990 XJ and not look hideous? I was looking at the hood and on the outside they look identical and I looked at some of the body lines and they look the same...

I love how that jeep turned out tim, maybe I should do it to my mj. Zoro, if you don't want the front clip, you can always give it to me

After seeing that site I'm going for it, the new clip would look real cool on a Comanche.

Would it be possible to switch a newer tailgate and tail-lights as well? The rear 'clip' isn't available so I guess if that's possible that'll go onto my waiting list

~Zoro~

Which grill did you finally end up going with? I like the color matched one the best with the chrome taking a very close 2nd. It turned out really good...that's a pretty cheap way to make your tried and trued older XJ...look like a newer one.
That was a good write-up too. Great job!
Aron

BigDawgz said:
Which grill did you finally end up going with? I like the color matched one the best with the chrome taking a very close 2nd. It turned out really good...that's a pretty cheap way to make your tried and trued older XJ...look like a newer one.
That was a good write-up too. Great job!
Aron

It is Bens and not mine so not sure which one he is running at the moment but think it is the color coded one. His email is on there so you can ask him any questions you want not covered.
I looked into swapping in the rear tailgate for him but it is not possible. The fixing points for the hinges are completely different and not the same spacing either. They also changed the whole roof cross member in 97 partly due to the extra weight of the steel verses fibreglass tailgate. The lights are also taller and narrower on the later ones.

One last question about this, is just the grille &the grille surround interchangeable or would it not match the rest of the body lines?

I bought my two new Chinese fenders off ebay for $113 shipped. not bad at all. i also did a hack job to my old fenders though (that looked like sheeat), and the 97+ are already cut off there. if you get a wrap around bumper, you might as well do the upgrade if your bodywork on the lower fenders leaves something to be desired.

I had searched the junkyard for 97+ a few times because I prefer OEM panels, but could never find any. Anyhow as I had said before, I bought the Chinese junk. The front panel is aftermarket too. Anyhow, I installed all this stuff a couple of days ago. The results are just okay. The front panel is slightly smaller than the fenders, so the fenders stick down about 1/8" to 1/4" further at the bottom, the body line doesn't quite line up when the rounded tops are perfectly lined up. The mounting locations in the door opening (two tabs), on the bottom (two bolts in one tab) and along the top (four bolts into the wheelwell) are the same. the front is very different. I am not sure if there is a difference in radiator supports, but I dont have anywhere to bolt the front of the fenders, besides the bolts that hold the front panel on. I suspect that the wheelwells (inner fenders) are different. These are expensive from a dealership and hard to find aftermarket for much cheaper. If at all possible get the inner and outer fenders at a pick n pull. They will be of marginally better quality and most likely be 100% bolt up and correct fitting. (I have gotten the older assembly, inner and outer fender, flare and wheel well liner off of an older style XJ for $50. It's a much better deal if you find one intact) It looks better now, because it isn't wrecked up anymore, but it isn't perfect. Since the rest of the Jeep isn't perfect either, it is just going to have to do. The front panel was also a bolt up job, though the wires are run differently and there is a provision for an extra bulb in the marker lights. Have fun!
Mike

Back