• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best axles to swap out with?

nuttinbuttmudd

NAXJA Forum User
currently have dana 35 and dana 30 running

huge tires and lift btw
39.5s and 12 inch lift

with out major fab, welding and such

what would be the best bolt up axles for a 89 cherokee ?
if any exsist for this aplication if not what ones with fab and welding dso you all recomend ?

i was thinking dana 44s front and rear

p.s shes a work in progress so go easy on me lol

i'd go with a d60 or ford 9" in the rear, and at least a 44 in the front. none of those are going to bolt right in

nuttinbuttmudd said:
currently have dana 35 and dana 30 running

huge tires and lift btw
39.5s and 12 inch lift

with out major fab, welding and such

what would be the best bolt up axles for a 89 cherokee ?
if any exsist for this aplication if not what ones with fab and welding dso you all recomend ?

i was thinking dana 44s front and rear

p.s shes a work in progress so go easy on me lol

Rockwells are your best choice, they slip right in with very little in the way of fab work. Plus, they are cheap, and thegearing is right.

CRASH

d60 rear axle from 1989 3/4 ton 2wd dodge truck...5"+/- wider than stock...bolt in...atleast the one I found...

I was wondering something along the same lines for my 90 XJ. I have access to a CUCV & a Ford F350 4x4. Ford axles look kinda weird, especially the front linkage. CUCV front axle has the differential on the wrong side though...

I need a rear axle at a minimum...

BrettM said:
the only easy axles to swap that are going to hold up to that will cost you several grand each and will come from a company such as Dynatrac, Currie, etc.

Yeah, write them a blank check and they'll fill in the amount. They will bolt right in. Money cannot buy you love they say, but it sure can buy you some nice axles ready to bolt in. :laugh3:

Last edited:
best axles?

thats a grab bag...

some run d30 super kit and a ford8.8

i will run d44/ford 9

some run 60's

some run 44/toy 8"

its all up to what is available and what the budget is...

I belive Dynatrac just came out with trail 60's that are a little cheaper than the pro rocks. You should also upgrade to the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern.

Best combo without going ape-wild and spending a ton of money....
Dana 44 front, Ford 9" Rear 5 on 5.5
You are running a very large tire... I am suprised you haven't had major issues already! But, I guess I have been luck so far with my D30 on 35"s...

Like the others have said... its a money thing!
Whichever route you take, just do it the right way!

I wish I had the money to order custom made axles ready to bolt on... someday I guess...

(License Plate)
"IF YOU CAN'T STOP, SMILE AS YOU GO UNDER!"

90 XJ 4.0L I6 Auto
11" Lift, Rustys Longarm Kit, OTK Steering, 4.56 Gears, D30/Ford 8.8, Eaton E-Locker (rear), K&N Cold Air Intake, 35X12.50 BFG MT KM's on Eagle Alloy 15X10's, 6-States Driveshaft, Cracked Windshield, tree damage, oxidation...
Inland Northwest Adventures.com
ELKWA02052005-JUMP.jpg

Rockwells aren't THAT expensive.....check www.chuckstrucks.net look at the 2.5 ton running gear prices....those guys build some awsome MEGA trucks.

Yeah there trucks are pretty sick. Did you ever see there Trucks Gone Wild vid?

robz95xj said:
Did you ever see there Trucks Gone Wild vid?

Lemme guess... they get drunk and show off their headlights?

Has anyone known of anyone... or tried themselves.. to put the Tru-Lock (i think thats what they are called) axles from a TJ-Rubicon, on an XJ?

I'd really like to have electric switching ability if i'm going to the trouble of replacing axles.

Hey Lawn Cher', It's acually a bunch of guys with trucks on 48" tractor tires doin all kinds of things like crushing cars, tug of war (on pavement),trying to float across a lake ect. You can check out there preview video on there site at www.trucksgonewild.com.

Back