• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whats the plastic football thing in the bumper?

muddyxjguy85

NAXJA Forum User
I'm making custom bumpers for my xj and found this plastic oval casing inside the bumper with a hose connected to it. could any one tell me what it is and does and how can i move it so u cant see it ?

Its a vacuum canister. Used as a vacuum source for your cruise control amongst other things. Keep it, just zip tie it out of the way until you find something more creative to do with it.

MIke

On my '98 i put it behind the fusebox/powercenter the hose is long enough to reach and it is out of the way.

It also controls youre climate controls. I had problems with the vaccume system when I bought my MJ and it ended up that someone drilled the mounting screw through the cannister. Fixing that solved the problem and smoothed and slowed the Idle.

Thats why my cruise control doest wok. What else does it effect.

I moved mine to under the hood. Shortened all the vacuum lines going to it. It isnt secured in place but it doesnt really move around any.

IMG_0057_002.sized.jpg

thanks for the advice, i'll have to move some things around to get it to fit under the hood but it will probably be safer anyways in there.

Just like in the pic above, you can move it so that it is right in front of your heater motor. 5 minute job and it won't be in the way.

robz95xj said:
Thats why my cruise control doest wok. What else does it effect.

A vacuum leak can make your a/c and heater controls useless. If there is a leak no matter where you have your controls set it blows thru the defrost.

Ask me how I know. :gag:

Daryl

i just plugged the line and eveything still works fine on mine any reason i need to have the canister?

If you want heat going up a hill you'll need a canister of some sort. Also those with vac disco axles will need a reservoir to prevent popping into 2LO with lots of throttle.

The early XJ's had a nice metal coffee can type canister with the one way valve and a mounting bracket that works a lot better than the plastic POC. It's also a lot easier to mount.

i tossed mine in the trash, just pluged the line and everything still works.

I used the Jeepin link where it tells you how to re locate the can behind your front crossmember. It worked great, and you don't notice any type of change in anything. good mod for aftermarket bumpers.

is the canister smaller and spherical on newer xj's? i have a black plastic ball, about the size of an orange bolted to the bumper on the passenger side of my '98.

-red-

RedNBlack77 said:
is the canister smaller and spherical on newer xj's? i have a black plastic ball, about the size of an orange bolted to the bumper on the passenger side of my '98.

-red-

Yes, same thing.

Back