• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electric spazing....?

hangubus

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 91 lerado a few months ago... when i first got it it the e-break indicator was on when the e-break was not set and the light would go off when i set it, but sometimes it would work too... Also the 4-wheel drive indicator worked on and off...and it was hard to get out of 4-wheel sometimes. the light would show i was out of 4x4 but it would still be in it.

the cd player and spedometer stopped working for like half a day......the cruise control never worked. soo i have been just living with this little electric thing because im still paying the car off.......but yesterday when i turned the key to open the dorr the alard went off (which i dont have a remote for and it has never done this before) and it would not go off and then she could not start it and it kept making a little clicking sound and then after a while it just started.... if you have had any problems like this or have any suggestion please let me know what you think i should do, the cheaper the better....i cant afford it thanks

oh the Abs check light is on too and the breaks are really hard to push sometimes...... could this be related? i dont think soo cause the systom is a pos i hear

For a start, I'd suggest removing and cleaning every ground you can find. Start with the battery, clean the posts with a pasty mix of baking soda and water, rinse with clean water, the foaming is normal. Then coat with a good smear of grease or battery terminal sealer [grease is cheaper]. Find all the grounds, they are generally wires and braided wires that connect the electrical system together. One will be on the back of the motor going to the firewall, that one will be braided, remove, clean the ends and the contact points, put a coat of dielectric grease on it [Tune up grease] and reinstall. You will find some other wires like it, they will be single wires with a lug on them attaching to various body parts, clean em. Use a brass tooth brush and some contact cleaner to spray the bits away. The tune up grease will slow oxydation. Then start UNDER the dash. Start checking connections.
Also look down by the starter, where all those wires go, over time spillage from the oil filter collects down there and traps dirt. Consider backing them out and cleaning. Then get underneath, look at the transfer case linkage, might want to clean and spray it with a good lube.
Vacum system, check all your vac hoses, expecially the one running under the battery tray to the vacumn cannister that is behind the front passenger side bumper, that can also cause some mischief. Battery splooge drips on it and eats the hose over time. that will keep you busy, then see what happens. What it sounds like is that the alarm was deprived of power and reset to factory defaults which is on. It can be reset to off with a key.

Back