• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper mount fab?

dphillips

See,what had happened was
Getting ready to try and fabricate a front bumper for my 2000 xj and need some advise on the mounting points. I'm not sure about the best way to mount it to the frame . Can I just use the mounts off the factory bumper or is their a way to make my own that would be stronger. I've seen alot of threads on home made bumpers but not much info or pics on how they're mounted. Any pictures or diagrams would be a big help. Thanks!

1/4" plate works pretty good.

frontbumper%20002%20(Medium).jpg

Ditto on the quarter inch plate, that is baxicly the same thing I did with mine. works good. Just make sure to gusset out to the bumper to add longitudinal rigidity.

Thanks,
That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Anybody else have some info/tips on this?

for the driver's side, do exactly like how 96country showed, and pick up the 3 factory bumper bolts (gold bolts), the 3 steering box bolts (brown bolts) and the rear through-frame mount (smoothie bolt). Since there's no steering box on the passengerside of course, just use the 3 factory bolts and the rear through-frame mount.

This is a shot of Custom4x4Fabrication's bumper mounts:
bumperbracket2.jpg

I would also recommend a front L-bracket that ties into the front crossmember, which what C4x4 does, as well as the factory tow hook brackets. The holes in the front crossmember are already there (used with the factory tow hook brackets).
bumperbracket1.jpg

I have those tow hook brackets that extend back past the sway bar... Im going to weld them to my bumper bracket just for more durability...
this is the reason that I love this site. I can do my homework and my hobbie at the same time. And there's always a better way.
Brian

the first picture is the best, it doubles as a steering box brace...then again it is a lot more work to get everything lined up properly, but if you are going to do it, you might as well do it right...here is mine,
hanger3.jpg

it is going to do double duty as my front leaf spring hanger

Back