• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2k to spend, enough to go 33's?

KingOfTheHill

NAXJA Forum User
im not looking to make my XJ a MONSTER truck.... it can already take me everywhere my hobby takes me but it looks kinda weak at stock height...

want to start going on trails with the socal guys and need 31's at LEAST to hang with them.... but i want to do it right and do it once....

right now i can cheaply do a 3" lift and get some 31's on my jeep... altough it will do me fine, i ran into 2k (sold my dirtbike)... and dont know if i want to put it to other uses or finish my jeep and make it take 33's...

these are the tires im getting for sure http://coopertire.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?ProdType=LtTruck&id=271&title=Light+Truck+Tires

but everything else is up in the air.... if i do the lift with 33's i ONLY have 2k to spend...

i would like to do tires, front locker, front and rear gears, and a 4.5"-5" lift PROPERLY.

now im still new to this, but does this sound do-able? the gear install is free.... local shop owes me a favor so that should cut the price a fair ammount, also all the work will be done by myself... should be no biggie to handle...

so if you have a way to do this for the price could you let me know... otherwise im just going 31's on 3" and be done with it and swallow the fact im not gonna do anything TOOOOOOO hairy. thanks

JOe

RE 5.5" Xtreme duty kit
35's
SYE and driveshaft
4.56 gears F/R
wheel the urine out of it~!!!

Cheap?

Rough country 4.5" on Ebay (Not accounting for ride quality)
Used 32's or 33's and a sawzall or BFH.
black steel rims
factory limited slip from junk yard.

possibly doable, you profile says it's an 89, so you most likely won't need an SYE, just YJ yoke. this is assuming you can do some junkyard shopping and can make some things. Here's just a list off the top of my head, looks like you can do it for about $2500.

YJ yoke - $10
D44 rear - $300
760x shafts up front - $100
gears - $400 (free labor you said)
lockright (i would recommend for the rear axle) - $250
MJ/Dakota/S10 leafs and shackle - $30
used 3" coils and spacer - $80
YJ front brakelines, Dakota rear line - $40
shocks - $200
tow points - $100
rear hitch - $20
rock rails - $40 (make em)
t-case skid - $30
wheels - $160
tires - $600

Damn, Brett, I need to shop wherever you're shopping...

I guess I've been getting shafted.

Robert

hey brettm i like your idea, its always nice to hear someone say something other than Rubicon Express, Rubicon Express. Yeah it is nice stuff bit not everyone can afford the best stuff and not everyone needs it either. I went with the 3 inch skyjacker kit with 2 inch spacers up front and extended shackles out back and it does awesome out here at Tellico.

I gotta kind of agree with Brett on this one. I got an 89' and I am just over $3K total.. including buying the rig.. I havent gone D44.. instead I got a 8.25 29spline... $60 rather than $300... also the 8.25 will push the driveshaft a little bit, so it will make up for my lift (s-10 leaves 3degree shims). Front springs are harder to find.. $80 sounds conservative w/ spacer. You do not need alot of lift to stuff big tires.. just cut the fenders.. Also upgrade the front shafts (760 joints) and look for used lockers.. Get creative and look around for deals.. 2K is enough to make it more than trail ready, but it will also go alot faster than you think...

I have an 85 wagoneer. I have owned it for two years now and have not put more than two thousand dollars into it and it is a very good trail and mud truck. Here is a list of the things that have been done to it and the prices.

3 inch lift 230.00. add a leaf for the rear, new coils up front.

american racing rims from junkyard for 50.00.

31 inch BFG mud terrains for 50.00.

There are alot of other things that have been replaced but that if from my hard driving. Other parts that have been installed costed me 650.00 and 700.00.

Those parts are,
new gas tank, new rear axle, new passenger door window tranny and tranfer case, new axleshaft for driverside, alternator, battery and some other small items. Keep in mind that I beat my truck very very hard in the mud and snow.

Like someone else said already, just keep your eyes open for deals. They are everywhere.

85xjwoody said:
Like someone else said already, just keep your eyes open for deals. They are everywhere.

This is really your best bet if you want to stick to a specific budget. That and being patient. I've got maybe around $3 - $3500 into my '89 including the purchase price and it was bone stock when I got it. It now has a 4.5" RE lift, locked in the rear and soon in the front when I do the front gears, 33s and a bunch of other things. I would have less into it except for general repairs that were needed like redoing the cooling system and regearing (stock plastic tank rad blew up on me and the rear pinion died). I got lucky and found a guy not too far from me selling a mostly complete XJ that had the lift on it and both lockers for $750. He couldnt cure the DW problems he had and was ready to move to something else so was selling cheap. This has also given me a complete spare drive train to play with when I need it. Be patient and shop around for deals.

BrettM said:
possibly doable, you profile says it's an 89, so you most likely won't need an SYE, just YJ yoke. this is assuming you can do some junkyard shopping and can make some things. Here's just a list off the top of my head, looks like you can do it for about $2500.

YJ yoke - $10
D44 rear - $300
760x shafts up front - $100
gears - $400 (free labor you said)
lockright (i would recommend for the rear axle) - $250
MJ/Dakota/S10 leafs and shackle - $30
used 3" coils and spacer - $80
YJ front brakelines, Dakota rear line - $40
shocks - $200
tow points - $100
rear hitch - $20
rock rails - $40 (make em)
t-case skid - $30
wheels - $160
tires - $600

control arms? track bar? gear oil? seals? bearings? junkyard axles rarely come without some new work to be done on them (beatings, seals, oil...) wheels?

what tires new for 600 can you get 5 of in the 33" veriety?

i dont thinkt that it can be done properly - there are too many incidental costs that arent thought of right away...

you can purchase swamper LTB's or fleet farm Baha MT's that are very similar to BFG mud terrains for that price. I priced a set of 5 Baha MT's at fleet farm for 575.00. LTB's will run you about 625.00 for the 33's.

XJ_ranger said:
control arms? track bar? gear oil? seals? bearings? junkyard axles rarely come without some new work to be done on them (beatings, seals, oil...) wheels?

i dont thinkt that it can be done properly - there are too many incidental costs that arent thought of right away...

Not too mention, not everyone has a welder or tools need to make a set of $40 rock rails.

XJ_ranger said:

Used control arms (only need lowers) $60.. dont have to be adj. to work.
New Track bar $125-$200.. can find them used though for $100 or less.
Gear oil? not very expensive..
Bearings? Install kits + gears.. I think that was figured into $400... but I think it would be a bit more... also would need carriers.. but again, deals can be found. For $600 you can find tires and wheels used for that.. 33's or 35's with at least half life left.

that's why I SAID "assuming you can do some junkyard shopping and can make some things" :rolleyes:

as for 33s for $600... who said you need 5? get 4 good ones and a freebie 10% tread one as a spare. Or you can get 5 Kumho or Walmart MTs for $600 easy.

I am going to have to disagree with you on the rock rails brett, it is going to cost more than that in steel. The price of steel has gone up over 3x the price that it was last year. I just bought a 20' stick of 1.5" .120 wall dom and it was $60. Doesn't the price of steel suck?

thanks for the reply's.... left me with a lot of thinking now....

the tires i have a hookup... im getting 5 of those coopers on my stock rims 33's for 380 installed....

about the rock rails and armor, i luckly do my own welding and what not... and the price of steel has gone up but not tooooooo much at IMS....

honestly its a BIG difference in 31's to 33's... i didnt expect half of this.... now im wondering if its gonna even happen.... bcause i can do 31's with tires/rims and a 3" procomp lift (used) for under 6-700bux... and if i do that i can have money for front and rear lockers, full armor, maybe a winch and an exhaust system......

its gonna be a tough decision now..... 31's or 33's....

JOe

KingOfTheHill said:
thanks for the reply's.... left me with a lot of thinking now....

the tires i have a hookup... im getting 5 of those coopers on my stock rims 33's for 380 installed....

about the rock rails and armor, i luckly do my own welding and what not... and the price of steel has gone up but not tooooooo much at IMS....

honestly its a BIG difference in 31's to 33's... i didnt expect half of this.... now im wondering if its gonna even happen.... bcause i can do 31's with tires/rims and a 3" procomp lift (used) for under 6-700bux... and if i do that i can have money for front and rear lockers, full armor, maybe a winch and an exhaust system......

its gonna be a tough decision now..... 31's or 33's....

JOe
there isn't much price difference between 31s and 33s if you're willing to cut the fenders enough to use 33s on 3-3.5 inches. everything I listed would be basically essential for either except the rear D44 wouldn't be needed with 31s, unless you lock the rear.

what rear axle do you have now?

Back