• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 ABS Problem

Jerms

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91' with 4.0 ho and abs. i worked at a jeep dealer for a few months as a lube tech and remeber that the other "techs" were always doing recalls on older chrysler cars like imperials and lebarons for abs accumlaters. i remeber watching one of them replace the accumlater once and the abs system on those cars seems and looks alot like the one on xj's of my year.

Now the problem that these cars would have is that everytime you step on the brake the abs pump would run. my xj does the same thing and the cause is a ruptured abs accumulater. so it was covered under recall on those older chryslers is it also covered under recall on the xj's? Just wondering if anyone else has had this done i kow that tha abs system as a whole is junk but i would like to get it fixed?

TIA

Jerms

Jerms said:
I have a 91' with 4.0 ho and abs. i worked at a jeep dealer for a few months as a lube tech and remeber that the other "techs" were always doing recalls on older chrysler cars like imperials and lebarons for abs accumlaters. i remeber watching one of them replace the accumlater once and the abs system on those cars seems and looks alot like the one on xj's of my year.

Now the problem that these cars would have is that everytime you step on the brake the abs pump would run. my xj does the same thing and the cause is a ruptured abs accumulater. so it was covered under recall on those older chryslers is it also covered under recall on the xj's? Just wondering if anyone else has had this done i kow that tha abs system as a whole is junk but i would like to get it fixed?

TIA

Jerms

yes they are covered mines going in tomorrow actually.

i have afriend who is currently a jeep tech says they come in pretty frequently

just take it in and tell em what you got

I did a lot of these recalls. Certain parts are covered lifetime, others only to 100k. I think the pump/motor assy. is covered lifetime. The accumulator is only to 100k I believe. Take it to a dealer, and have them check if it has had the recall performed. Even if it has, they should perform the system test no charge. At least thats what I always had to do. If the accumulator is bad, it is very easy to replace, but make sure you pump the pedal w/ the key off @ 30-40 times. The accumulator stores pressure in the 1000 psi range and will spray brake fluid all over if you crack the lines while it still has pressure on it.

Brian

Back