• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Inspection Plate Removal?

BDbass

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ Classic 4.0L / AW4 -
I need to remove the inspection plate at the bellhousing, but it looks like the starter will have to come off and that the plate continues up to the top of the tranny/engine block on the starter side. Thought I'd ask here what I'm getting into before I start so I can allot enough time.
Did a quick search but didn't find the answer...

*I've got an oil leak from this area, can't tell if it's the fresh engine oil (2k on it, but that's what I think it is...) or the old tranny fluid mixed w/ the dirt on the outside. Neither level is low. I've checked the V/C, filter mount (re-sealed that awhile ago) and the CCV port. It would seem to be the rear main or the tranny, thus the inspection plate removal.

**The odd thing is that enough fluid has leaked to coat the entire underside and leave some small puddles, but everything is full up. This just started after I picked it up from an axle seal re-work at a reputable local shop. It almost seems like 'someone' over-filled my oils, but I can't be sure...

Sure would appreciate any info! thnx!
-bd-

I just removed the inspection plate on my tranny to check the bolts on my flywheel and it was really pretty easy - just requiring the removal of 4 bolts. Is the same inspection plate that you are talking about? This was on a 98 with AW4. I hope this helps!

if yours is different than the 98 the starter is not hard to remove. it should be the same? as to your overfilling suspesion, i can say its been done before. i had i girl bring her xj in and i noticed that there was a large puddle whereever it was parked(not a big deal it is a xj)), so a made a point to check her oil just to be sure it had at least enough to run it. turned out it was a liter over. i told her and she explained she was getting gas and the attendent asked to check her oil. he checked it and said it was down so sold her a liter of overpriced gas station oil. alter taking a liter out the xj leaked a minor amount only when running. no more oil running out the rear main, no more puddles when parked.

...this plate looks like one piece that continues up past the starter and then between the bellhousing and block. I don't want to have to separate the tranny & engine just to get this plate out...
I was hoping someone here had done this and could tell me what's up.

BDbass said:
...this plate looks like one piece that continues up past the starter and then between the bellhousing and block. I don't want to have to separate the tranny & engine just to get this plate out...
I was hoping someone here had done this and could tell me what's up.

I've got news for you. You can't seperate the engine and tranny without removing that plate so you should be ok in that regard. It should just be 4 bolts without starter removal.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I when I went to look inside the cover on our "new" 94, the inspection cover was covered with so much oil/dirt cake that I couldn't see the seam, and it looked like a one-piece plate. Once I cleaned it off, it was obvious that it pops right off with 4 bolts, just like everyone claims here.

The seam under the starter runs at an angle sorta pointing towards the crankshaft centerline. Hope that helps...

Yup, y'all are right. Too much dirt to see the 'seam'.
4 bolts = 2) 18mm w/ nut on other side; 2) 13mm (wrench size).
**Who's the engineer that decided it needs that big a bolt (18mm) to retain that thin plate and the tranny cooler lines... PLUS, I couldn't get the plate all the way off because one of the bolts is blocked by the exhaust pipes, even though the inspection plate is slotted there, I couldn't manipulate it enough to get it 'unclipped' from the other plates w/o possibly bending it. I was able to peek up inside though...

Back to the main point, I've determined the source of my oil leak is... the back of the oil pan! Better than a rear main, but from what I've read here already, it sounds like that's gonna be a fun job...

Back