• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats is Misfire

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
I hear ppl talkign alot about misfire along wit the cps and sometimes the distributor and such and was wondering what it is exactly and how you tell ?

Also when i changed my distributor cap and rotor about a yr ago i changed it with a wells brand one which i hear is crap and is not brass can this harm stuff ?

pete

Misfiring is simply not firing (sparking) when it's supposed to.

Yeah, Wells is poor quality stuff. It won't harm anything if it hasn't already, but it won't deliver top performance, either.

jeepsrock said:
What can it harm ?or rather what can it have harmed already ?

Well, for starters there's the rotor arm and spark plugs... Those would be the most likely immediately-downstream components that might fail. The coil may not be happy trying to power a flaky cap, which could lead to its expiry. Then there're all the wonderful opportunities incomplete combustion can afford you, ranging from burned-out catalytic converters to valve/ring damage. Granted, that latter example is a bit extreme but the first two aren't.

REason i ask is bc at tthe time thats all i could get bc apparently 94 is a messed up yr. Some items such as the distributor used were from 93s and some from 95s, so it was a bit hard to get one to fit.

pete

Well i still dont know how to tell if it have misfire, but i think it may be better off to replace it this weekkend or so. I called the dealer and they said jeep doesnt make brass ones anymore, and they only stock the al ones. I called autozone and they only carry the wells crap i originally have. Kragen pretty much only stocks al ones. THe only one i think that may have them is napa, i think i will take a look this weekend. If napa only has their house brand with brass terminals should i get that ?

What do you guys run and from where ?

thx
pete

Back