• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can you name that part?

Noodle

NAXJA Forum User
What is the black contraption mounted to the drivers inner fender behind the ballast resistor and in front of the washer tank? Mine is making my relay (second from front) make a buzzing sound when the key is on in the run position. It quits if I unplug it? I am trying to get my 89 XJ 4.0 running. I recently replaced fuel pump and it will start and die as soon as I let off of the starter. Could there be a connection between my problems and the black part in question?

That should be the egr soleniod. It should have no effect on running for the most part. The question is, why is it buzzing. It could be bad, it is driven by the computer, so the computer could be bad. The battery could be only putting out a limited voltage, causing it to not fully engage. There could be a faulty ground, not allowing a low enough impedence path for the power.

Now for the real question. You said it starts and then dies when you quit cranking. That is a classic symptom of a shot ballast resistor. Have you shorted around the ballast resistor to test?

http://www.4x4getaways.com/xjballast.jpg

http://www.4x4getaways.com/xjrelays.jpg

Last edited:
I have the wires that are suppose to be connected to the ballast resistor hooked togerther bypassing the resistor and that has not solved my problem. In that case do you think that the computer is the problem? Any guess on cost of replacement computer?
Thanks
Chris

The computer is the last thing to change. Change the fuel pump relay and possibly the power latch relay. Just a note: it never hurts to keep a spare relay in the parts box. You can normally limp home by swapping another relay, but they aren't that expensive.

If that doesn't fix it, start checking your wiring and connections for corrosion or a break. If you have a volt meter, turn on the key and then crawl under and check the voltage going to the fuel pump. With the relay shorted, it should be roughly what your battery voltage is.

It is possible that your fuel filter is clogged as well.

Back