• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another noob lift thread...

Starscream

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I have been checking jeepforum.com and this site for about the past two months searching for all the info I can get on lift set ups. Any input is greatly appreciated...

I have a 96 XJ and do about 40-60 miles of travel per day. I off road about every weekend. I would like to lift and clear 31's (I chose this size b/c I am getting a free set of BFG A/T's).

So far, most people swear by Rubicon Express. Although they may be the best, they are pretty expensive for just 3.5" of lift. I know that ~$800 for a lift may not be much, but I'm still in high school and don't work that much.

I have been favoring Rusty's 3" SP since it will cost less, and people seem to have very little trouble with it. Plus, it would leave money for a set of Hella 500's and a roof mount spare carrier some time in the near future.

I would like to know of the best place to buy either the 3.5" RE SR, or the Rusty's 3" SP. Whether or not the RE SR will have full packs depends on my budgeting. I would also like to know what kind of extra parts I will need when lifting (ie, adjustable trac-bars, sway bar disco's, transfer case drops, etc).

P.S. I have heard the "lift once, do it right" phrase a million times. Right now, if I got the RE SR it would be with AAL most likely. Should I just wait for the extra $250 and get the rear packs, or would the AAL not be much of a hassle?

Thanks

Starscream918 said:
Hello all,

I have been checking jeepforum.com and this site for about the past two months searching for all the info I can get on lift set ups. Any input is greatly appreciated...

I have a 96 XJ and do about 40-60 miles of travel per day. I off road about every weekend. I would like to lift and clear 31's (I chose this size b/c I am getting a free set of BFG A/T's).

So far, most people swear by Rubicon Express. Although they may be the best, they are pretty expensive for just 3.5" of lift. I know that ~$800 for a lift may not be much, but I'm still in high school and don't work that much.

I have been favoring Rusty's 3" SP since it will cost less, and people seem to have very little trouble with it. Plus, it would leave money for a set of Hella 500's and a roof mount spare carrier some time in the near future.

I would like to know of the best place to buy either the 3.5" RE SR, or the Rusty's 3" SP. Whether or not the RE SR will have full packs depends on my budgeting. I would also like to know what kind of extra parts I will need when lifting (ie, adjustable trac-bars, sway bar disco's, transfer case drops, etc).

P.S. I have heard the "lift once, do it right" phrase a million times. Right now, if I got the RE SR it would be with AAL most likely. Should I just wait for the extra $250 and get the rear packs, or would the AAL not be much of a hassle?

Thanks

first off welcome aboard!! i will also suggest RE products if you can afford them.. but there is nothing wrong with running an AAL for a year or so if thats what your budget will cover.. it will get you out there cheaper.. there are alot of people who will suggest you "peice together " an AAL kit of your own with used parts but i think thats a real PIA just for the benefit of used parts.. my RE 3.5" AAL sat at 4.5" initially but settled to 3" by 1.5 yrs... conversely the 3.5" leaf pack i run currently is 1 yr old from my well abused trail rig and it sits at 5".... (dont ask me to explain it ) run the AAL for a while and get yourself some real wrench and wheeling experience while you work toward your next build-up...

RE makes some high quality lift parts maybe some of the best, though they are quite expensive, that is why when i got the money around to lift my junk, i decided on the rustys 3 inch kit with the full packs, and so far i love it. Works well out on the trail, and on the ride it rides very well. I'd say stay away from the AAL if you can, they tend to fail and sag overtime. Whatever you do, you'll definitly like the your rig lifted, and after a bit will probably want to lift it even more!!

First off welcome.

Second do a search there is alot of info, this gets covered about every other day.

Third your gonna get someones opinion, and they will swear that that is the way to go, even though they have never had the other lift. So go for what you can affoard and build from there.....RE or Rusty's I dont think you could go wrong either way.

I made the mistake of buying AT tires a month before I bought my MT tires....the mistake costed me 300$. If you live around alot of rock, such as moab or somewhere like that, you'll be alright. If you like to play in the mud and water then I would think twice about the AT's. Iv'e found that the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R is great tire if you want minimal vibration and excellent off road ability. It's the tire that comes stock on the Jeep Rubicon.
I found a great starter lift for 349$...its a 3.5" lift, by Rubicon Express.
Click the link to see it...
http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sg...2&UREQC=3&UREQD=4&FNM=13&UID=2005031508510527
Brian

Have you budgeted for an SYE and HD drive shaft?

I know you have a 96, and I don't know if that year is vibration prone on a 2-3.5 inch lift. But if you don't budget for it and get vibes, you'd be miserable on that long daily commute.

Just about everything you search up and read on later models says prepare for that expense.

First off, thanks for your input everyone.

I have heard some people say they needed a SYE/CV set up for the RE since it tends to sit at 4+" off the bat. I haven't really seen much to think the 3" Rusty's would need anything more than a transfer case drop, if that.

I chose the A/T's b/c (1) they are completely free and are brand spankin' new, and (2) this area (the piedmont Carolinas) is very mushy ground. It has some mud in spots, but overall, if you use a mud tire you are doing nothing more than digging yourself a nice rut to get stuck in. I do like the MT/R's, and most likely the next set of tires I buy will be MT/R's.

BTW, what backspacing should I get on my wheels? I will run the 31's mostly, but just in case I decide to put bigger tires on, what should I choose?

Thanks again

As far as wheels go, I would recommend 15x8s you will end up going bigger, it always happneds. You don't want to go wider that 8" with 31s, but 8" work great with 32s and 33s. You can probably get by with stock wheels and 31s. As far as backspacing is concerned, 3.5"-4" is what most people run.

baldwinwb said:
3.5"-4" is what most people run.

4 1/2" to 4 3/4" BS is considered a good choice for a 3" lift and 31x10.50's on 8" wheels.If you expect to move up to larger tires later on, consider 4" to 4 1/2" BS.

Starscream918 said:
First off, thanks for your input everyone.

I have heard some people say they needed a SYE/CV set up for the RE since it tends to sit at 4+" off the bat. I haven't really seen much to think the 3" Rusty's would need anything more than a transfer case drop, if that.

Thanks again

I was at 6" and no SYE, I have one now cuz I'm at 9". every XJ is a bit different than the next, so with that in mind, keep the option open that you may need to get an SYE, but prob not.

My advice, forget the 3" and go to the 4.5", save your self a step in the ever growing XJ fever.

Buy rustys, for the money you can't go wrong. for the rear get the 3" springs and the 1 1/2" shackle, this will allow you to flex better.

Thanks for all the info.

I called a guy today (he is local) about what kind of 3" kits they carry. He was really set on selling me a 3" BDS spring pack kit for $675 w/ tax. I dunno much about BDS, but for that price I might as well go with RE.

I was just wondering, if I get the 4.5" Rusty's kit, would I be able to clear 33" MT/R's? With cut out flares?

*EDIT: Sorry, just checked Rusty's site and saw that you can tuck 33's with his cut-outs. Guess I should've checked that first.

Last edited:
Starscream918 said:
Thanks for all the info.

I called a guy today (he is local) about what kind of 3" kits they carry. He was really set on selling me a 3" BDS spring pack kit for $675 w/ tax. I dunno much about BDS, but for that price I might as well go with RE.

I was just wondering, if I get the 4.5" Rusty's kit, would I be able to clear 33" MT/R's? With cut out flares?

*EDIT: Sorry, just checked Rusty's site and saw that you can tuck 33's with his cut-outs. Guess I should've checked that first.

they'll fit, you'll be rubbing during flex, depending on bs and tire/wheel width.

Back