• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bosch plugs.

dyna

NAXJA Forum User
For the second time in my years of driving I have installed a set of bosch plugs in a car. This time the XJ. The results are the same, lost 2-3 mpg and 150 rpm at idle and general powerless running. The last set was in a 4x4 suburban and it went from 10 mpg to 7. now the chero is down to 12 mpg.Anyone else run these?

I just put in Bosch Platinum2's and it seems to be idling a lot better. Haven't driven it enough to get a milage reading yet. I'll pull them in a heartbeat if thats what happens.

Had Bosch Platinums in several vehicles we've owned, including 3-4 XJ's, 87 Chevy Beauville F/S van w/a 350/700r4, and two Turbo K-Cars. I tried Autolight Dual Platinums and regular NKG's (non platinum) in my '85 Lebaron GTS, the Autolights didn't even last a year, and I lost power when I went to the NKG's over year old Platinums.

Never been a big fan of Bosch plugs - just 'cheap' IMO...

NGK's are my choice - always have performed well and have had good results.

Sticking with what the factory sent the vehicle out with is usually the best/safest bet....

Will.

dyna said:
For the second time in my years of driving I have installed a set of bosch plugs in a car. This time the XJ. The results are the same, lost 2-3 mpg and 150 rpm at idle and general powerless running. The last set was in a 4x4 suburban and it went from 10 mpg to 7. now the chero is down to 12 mpg.Anyone else run these?
It seems to vary for people. I've had the bosch +4 in both my 98 and 97 and in both cases the engine runs smoother and better with the +4's. In the 98 I've actually put in champions which I've pulled after 2 months as the jeep kept running rough. My MPG flip flops between 14 and 16.5 but that's all dependant on the speed I'm driving (or rather traffic which dictates my speed) as well as the big spare that I've got on the roof (gotta throw it into the back one of these days)

Seems you cant beat the NKG`s. it seems american plugs/american vehicle, jap car /jap plugs,etc. I know champion years back had a law suit over to long a nose in some plugs allowing carbon buildup on the end threads then removing them resulted in ripping the threads out of a aluminum head. I lost a race 20 years ago cause of a failed champion plug in the old crustang I had and never went back to em. Wish I could find a diesel cherokee.

I put the cheap 95 cent bosch plugs in both my xj and my saturn with no ill effects, idle is fine, mpg is fine, and power is fine.

katarn

I put the standard Bosch platinums in my I-6, and noticed a slight positive difference. I put +4's in a Chevy V-6 and it ran like crap (worse than before, I mean), put +2's in a Toyota and nearly killed the motor. Mechanic I know said they make way too much extra heat for the 'Yota 4-bangers.

Back