• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which elec. fans to use?

JimP

NAXJA Forum User
My stock electric fan is busted and I've been pondering the idea of side-by-side elec. fans out of a small car. I've already switched to the open rad. and also removed the a/c condensor. I don't have any cooling problems unless I'm really working the truck hard at low speeds. Does anyone have any opinions or ideas. Ofcourse I'd like to find one of those dual units that would bolt right up, but I'm not at all scared of some fab work. Thanks in advance.
Oh yeah, its a '87 MJ, 4.0 4" lift w/31's. I just bought a dig. camera so I'll try to do a pic. before too long. I owe it to this site. I've gotten more info from here than I can remember, and I'm not even close to done. Thanks again.

Keep your mechanical fan...

Go to a junk yard and get another electric fan..

At my local U Pull it, cost me 12 bucks with a 30 day warranty.

Dual electric fans can not keep the Cherokee cool.

Of course this is my personal opinion, and your milage may vary... :D

dual electrics keep mine cooler than my clutch fan, but I have them wired to kick on simultaneously. I used an imperial 12 incher from autozone with a wiring harness to hook up my factory aux fan. Ive heard that the flex a lite dual units are perfect for the dimensions of the XJ radiator.

Any power gain w/clutch fan gone?

I did this same thing with a 2.8 V6 in a S-10 and the power difference was very noticable, along with the gas milage. I'm hoping to see the same with my Jeep. Thanks for the info.

Dual electrics will make your rig boil if you live in an area that sees temps over 90 degrees, which I assume Jacksonville does.

I use a Flex a lite 110, and it pulls more air than you can imagine. The fit is very tight, and requires the top radiator support member be modified. I use it as an auxillary unit, with the standard fan clutch doing the major duties.

CRASH

The question here may be what engine do you guys have. It is almost impossible to put something useful in front the 4.0 due to space limitations.
Patrick.

Naxja # 594

I have a HO, my electric just happens to be very thin. Didnt even have to cut down the old clutch studs.

Re: Any power gain w/clutch fan gone?

JimP said:
I did this same thing with a 2.8 V6 in a S-10 and the power difference was very noticable, along with the gas milage. I'm hoping to see the same with my Jeep. Thanks for the info.

You won't see any measurable difference if perceived engine power or in gas mileage, and the electric will not cool as well as the mechanical fan. IMHO you're wasting time, effort and money.

The 2.8L engine was a gutless POS in the S-10 and it was a gutless POS in the XJ. The 4.0L puts out so much more torque that removing the mechanical fan won't make any difference at all.

Back