• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ Flares on my XJ

VET'S XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So having owned an MJ before my XJ, I was thinking about how big the rear fender seemed. So while at the PNP I pulled some rear fender flares from an MJ there and decided to see if I could use them on my XJ. At $5 a piece I figured if they didnt work it wouldnt break me. So got them home and did some fit testing....this is what I ended up with.

This is a pic of my stock rear flare location(sorry pic is kinda dark) but for comparison sake...mearsurement between tire and bottom of flare is 3.75"
f73f1401.jpg

Next is a picture of the new mounting holes for the MJ flares, 4 in the body, 2 in the Door(bolted through in to cargo area by removing interior panels)
a594ffcc.jpg

Now is a picture of the finished product, compare to the first- now 6" between tire and bottom of flare, allowed me to trim alot more sheet metal where the old flares used to mount. Half the flare is mounted to the door half to the body like Bushwackers do. Looks really clean, just like stock but bigger!
a13ae6f8.jpg

Here is one of the split door section...
560c56eb.jpg

I am so pleased with the way it turned out, always a little sketchy drilling and cutting sheet metal and wasnt reallysure it would work how I had pictured in my head. Let me know what you think, much better than 300+ to buy bushwackers and still kept a really stock look.

VET8911

Nice write up! Looks good. I've heard the MJ flares were a wider opening, but never saw it executed on an XJ. Very clean.

MIke

I dont see why they wouldnt, the only thing I noticed about my front flares and these rears are that the front start out wider toward the front of the wheel well and taper a little toward the back. The rears are the same width front to back (by width I mean how far they stick out from the fender).

Thats awsome. I'd really like to see some pics of an XJ without the rear panel cutoff and the flares going all the way down front and rear.

There's so many people that love the look of stock flares and want larger openings, this would be great.

sloppyjoe said:
You did use the rear MJ flares to do this right? Looks great I am going to try it as soon as I know frnt or rear MJ flares I already have some access, Just have to buy em'.
He is talking about the rears as the front MJ flares are identical to an XJ.

Yes that is right they are the REAR flares off an MJ, I dont believe the year matters, but dont quote me on that.

These look really nice.....stock appearing still. You did a great job. I finished up a TJ flare installation on my trail beater....the PO had the fronts on....but not the rears. So I trimmed the fronts a lil bit more and got to work on the rears....I LOVE the clearance for a woods buggy/trail beater. I would probably do what you did if my rig was a nicer....(bodywise) XJ.
Aron

Back