• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squaling noise

HaZakated

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 sport with a 3" lift, 31-10.50 yokohama geolander MTs, T-case drop kit, and a bunch of custom mods.
About 2 months ago I started getting a squaling noise coming from the center of the drivetrain. It only squals until the Jeep is hot. When I put it in nuetral and hit the gas at a complete stop, it does not squal with respect to the rev up. Only while Im moving. I checked a little closer and determined that it is coming from the area in front of the T-Case or around the U-joint before the drive shaft connects with the T-case. It could also be coming from inside the T-case.
Has anyone experienced a similar noise?

Pull the front driveshaft and see if the noise continues. Sounds like the centering joint is dying...needs to be rebuilt or replaced if that's the case.

There are two u-joints and a centering joint in the upper end of the front driveshaft. Together they make up a dual-cardan (often called a CV) joint. There is no way to grease the centering piece without removing the driveshaft, and it will dry out after a couple years and gegin squeaking. Search for 'angry sparrow' and I bet you'll find a few hits on it.

Jan06_04.JPG

Slightly out of focus but that's the CV assembly.

ok...ive seen this. I never got the official name though. Is there a modified version of this joint that I can buy that is designed for lifted jeeps?

Nope, that's what you want, and it's similar to the CV jointed driveshafts we run on the rear after lifting the Jeep anyway.

thanks alot Yucca.....You brought a new suggestion to my attention. This site is very cool. this year i've installed a custom fabricated front bumper that a buddy and I made, a custom snorkel made out of PVC pipe and painted, skyjacker gas shocks, heavier duty rear leaves, and I lowered the T-case just yesterday. The next thing im going to do is change it to either 4.10 or 4.56, lock up the rear differential, and drop a winch on the new bumper. Do you think locking the differential and changing the ring and pinion to be tricky jobs that should be done by people that have done it before?

HaZakated said:
Do you think locking the differential and changing the ring and pinion to be tricky jobs that should be done by people that have done it before?
If you have never done gears before I would find someone to put them in. It takes time & some special tools. I assisted in doing mine & would not feel comfortable doing a set by myself now. Lockers can be easy or hard depending on the type. But if you are having the gears done, have that person install the locker too. JIM.

Back