• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 inner sleeve?? Anyone done it?

Angus

NAXJA Forum User
OK doing a polish here but trying to strengthen a D30 in a known weak area. In searching I noticed lots of info on trussing, but why not ram a sleeve inside. Sure it would be hard to show it off, but the lack of messing with welding the housing could be neat. I have access to a lathe for machining the sleeve. Of course the I.D. of the sleeve needs to be bigger than the axle shaft. Anyone out there done this or give me reasons why not.

Thanks, Angus

I was not planning on pushing the tube-sleeve over the seal location. Everyone has enough trouble with that seal, much less trying to get a custom one.
Angus

Angus said:
OK doing a polish here but trying to strengthen a D30 in a known weak area. In searching I noticed lots of info on trussing, but why not ram a sleeve inside. Sure it would be hard to show it off, but the lack of messing with welding the housing could be neat. I have access to a lathe for machining the sleeve. Of course the I.D. of the sleeve needs to be bigger than the axle shaft. Anyone out there done this or give me reasons why not.

Thanks, Angus

Tube flex is not really the problem. Housing flex is. That's why a truss is utilized.

On a disconnect housing, your idea would help the flex in the disconnect housing area, but I'm assuming you don't have a disco housing....

CRASH

Too Much Work.
I ran my D-30 (01XJ) with a limited slip for almost 2 years with no problems. and that was on 33's and 35's. If you're not locked up front and are using 31 inch tires, the diff assembly is going to slip well before the housing, or shafts feel any adverse force. You'll get stuck before you break anything.
And there is the fact that changing a front axle shaft (after tire removal) is like 5 bolts if it does break. Save the time and effort. Buy a spare set of shafts and save up for a bigger axle, gears, tires, locker and then sweat it.
Not trying to be offensive, but seems like a lot of effort for so limited a risk.

DaffyXJ said:
Too Much Work.
I ran my D-30 (01XJ) with a limited slip for almost 2 years with no problems. and that was on 33's and 35's. If you're not locked up front and are using 31 inch tires, the diff assembly is going to slip well before the housing, or shafts feel any adverse force. You'll get stuck before you break anything.
And there is the fact that changing a front axle shaft (after tire removal) is like 5 bolts if it does break. Save the time and effort. Buy a spare set of shafts and save up for a bigger axle, gears, tires, locker and then sweat it.
Not trying to be offensive, but seems like a lot of effort for so limited a risk.

I don't think he's trussing the axle to prevent shaft breakage. He's concerned about bending the housing and/or tubes.

It's a valid concern, as I've bent two housing in 4-5 years.

I'm polishing my third turd as we speak, and I will be trussing this one.

Rick

Correct, sleeving the housing. I just thought it would be good to do since the axle is bare and it did not look to difficult. Yes, I dont anticipate any real stress with my 31's and truetrac.
Angus

Back