• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ knuckle on XJ axle

Angus

NAXJA Forum User
I am prepping a '92 HP D30 to replace my '00 LP D30. I'm putting WJ brakes and steering on this axle to make it really nice. In mocking up, I noticed that the WJ knuckles do not have the lower ball joint adjuster sleeve like XJ's do. I am using new Mopar XJ ball joints, will they be OK without the use of the sleeve? The knuckle seems to snug up on the upper and lower ball joint even but still wanted to check. With several write-ups on this conversion nothing like this was mentioned.
Thanks, Angus

I'd be interested to hear about this too.

<free_bump>

r@m

ball joints are ball joints on these axles. All the part numbers crossreference. The only thing you do need is a spacer that is welded on the knuckle to space the wheel bearing out to align the ball joints and steering u joint. Everything else should just bolt together. It did for me.

Yes everything is spaced and I even made a bushing to take up the space made in between. I now have a tight fit from bearing-bearing spacer-knuckle. I just was concerned that the WJ knuckle no longer used the screw in lower ball-joint adjuster.
Thanks, Angus

I just got done pressing out the ball joints on my 95,I was suprised to see no adjusting collar,dont know when they made the change!

OK I guess it no issue then.
Thanks, Angus

whats the diff from a ZJ and a WJ.. is it the years? or is it the motor size?
i'm asking beacuse i have see people using WJ Knuckles with ZJ tie rods. whats the diff?

WJ is the new body style Grand Cherokee, the ZJ is the older Grands, Im sure there are more differences but thats pretty much what it boils down to....

Back