• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine will start but stall after a second

Cutlass355

NAXJA Forum User
Last night I was on the highway doing about 60mph in my 89' XJ with a 4.o engine and it just cut out. I pulled over and tried starting the engine again, it would start, rev to about 3 grand then drop slowly until the engine was off (only runs for about 5 seconds). Giving it gas has no effect. I was thinking it could be the IAC? TPS maybe? Im really not sure.. any help would be great.

Fuel pump ballast resistor. It get bypassed when the key is in the START position, so the system will pressurize while you're carnking and then start. After it starts, it runs on the fuel left in the rail and then dies.

If those aren't it it could be the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor). I was getting strange stalls a while back. Lots of threads on the subject so search it up.

Eagle said:
Fuel pump ballast resistor. It get bypassed when the key is in the START position, so the system will pressurize while you're carnking and then start. After it starts, it runs on the fuel left in the rail and then dies.

How do you fix this? I had the exact same thing happen to me two days ago. I had to let it sit overnight at a friends house. When I got back to it in the morning I cleaned off the fuel pump connection plug and put some dialectric grease in it and it started. But I think it was maybe cuz it sat for a while. I replaced the fuel pump and filter like 6-8 months ago and I lost my license from dec1st til 2 days ago so the only reason it was drivin was to do a little offroading around my house.

My ballast resistor busted in half so i went to the auto parts store and picked one up for around $5. Quick, easy fix, just unbolt it and bolt the new one on. Mine was located on the drivers side fender near the firewall. It would have 2 wires that plug into it, one on each side. Hope this helps

Just for reference. Not all years even have the ballast resistor, so you can jumper around it at least for a few days. It will make the pump work a bit harder and make more noise, which is the reason they added the resistor in the first place.

So if one were to have this problem and not have a ballast resistor and have the same problems (hint hint), where would one look next?

Back