• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sticker color?/

reply to query about equipment

I believe that if you reread Mike's post that he says "at the discretion of the trail leader" or something like that. It depends on the driver ability and equipment level. I've run trails with XJs with no TADs that did Metal Masher, Golden Spike, etc without any problems. I've also had to tow people driving double lockers in places on the same trails.
Previous years had people doing trails that weren't equipped (mechanically and or experience wise) to do them. When they broke down several people had to be left behind to deal with the situation.
It's a difficult thing thing as you don't know what you can do unless you take some chances and go with a group on a trail that you have never been on. I recall vivdly the first time I did Hell's Revenge in a rental Wrangler. It was quite the experience. Now, it's almost boring. Of course if you have a 3" lift and 30s you don't want to do Pritchett Canyon. I guess the bottom line is use common sense about your abilities and equipment level. HTH, Danno P.S. I personally won't drive out of the parking lot without a Tcase skid and a Gas tank skid. They ALWAYS get used in Moab. They are cheap and easy to install. That's MY comfort level.

I don't know what the policy is, I'm not repsonding to that, maybe they'll let you run, maybe they won't....

in either case skid plates are a WISE thing to have in Moab....

Breakages will happen, and that's "life on trail".....but when someone cracks thier t-case on trail cause they weren't running a skidplate, its hard to get sympathy from the rest of the group who are there on vacation to have a good time, not waste time fixing breakages that could be avoided with proper equipment, but that's your call.

Glad you can see our perspective, Anthony.

Once again for all of you out there: the sticker colors (Easy, Moderate, Hard, Very Difficult) are a guide - help for the Trail Leader to see what's in his group and look into it further, and help for the participant - to really make him think about what he's getting into.

Safety Requirements, that's a different matter, as in past years, we're going to play close attention to that list. Nothing really off the wall there, just good, basic, common sense for safe trail riding!

Mike in NJ

[quote:3e4a08eee0="Mike in NJ"]Glad you can see our perspective, Anthony.

Mike in NJ[/quote:3e4a08eee0]
MIke...., perspective HELL!! Im going to habor freight tommorro and buy a welder and fab up a tcase skid and a gas tank skid..
IM GOING TO RUN MOAB!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sticker color/ Safety Requirements??

VegasAnthony,
You will be very happy to have the TC and GT skid in Moab. Besides the fact that it will protect your TC and GT, it will allow you some peace of mind and help you enjoy your trails much much more. I do agree with both Mike in NJ, and Beezil. The Trail leaders (appointed/volunteer), are in these positions for their skill and knowledge about the Moab trails. They will know without any guessing, whether or not our rigs are properly equipped for their run. And their word is final. After all, we are there for a great time, and breakage due to ill equipped rigs causes unecessary delays. The trail leaders will try to follow the equipment requirements as close to the letter as possible. But Allowing one person in without proper equipment requirements, even though he claims to have great off road experience, opens the door for everyone to cross over the lines. And if there are those that want to follow suite, ( not equipped), and do not have adequate off road experience, you take a gamble on what kind of day it will be. Now don't get me wrong, even after all required equipment is on a rig, it doesn't mean there wont be damage, but let's try to eliminate as much of the chance as possible. Talk to your Trail Leader!!! This way we are all happy at the end of the day..... Just my 0.02.

Casper

Back