• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How strong are rear cargo tie down loops?

IdeaMan

NAXJA Forum User
You know the 4 metal cargo loop things in the back... how strong are they? I put a big Rubbermaid container full of gear back there and use racheting tie downs to hold it in place. I'm always afraid to ratchet down too much as they seem like they may not be real strong. Anyone really put these things to the test?

They are riveted in. I had to grind mine out. I would say they are good enough for a couple hundred lbs.....but thats my guess.

Its amazing how jeepers think alike. I used the exact same to hold my emergency items, tools and water, MREs, extra clothes and sleeping bag. I used the heavy rubber straps with the hooks on each end, hooked one on each loop and hooked two together over the basket. It stays in place. I wouldn't stress the loops too much, they look stronger than the rivet holding them in...

I don't think they are really that strong if you think of the extra force in a rollover or wreck. Next time you are a the junkyard look in the rear of a late model S-10 Blazer. They have 4 super-duty hooks that are held down by Torx bolts. I got some for free and installed them in the cargo area. I bolted them thru the floor where several layers of sheetmetal overlapped. Nothing will move around now.

Back