• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help..rear axle bearings replacement..

MudSlinger

NAXJA Forum User
Does someone know how to change the bearing in the rear axle. We have a 88 Jeep Cherokee,
IS it as easy as using as a slide hammer and pop it out and then putting it back in, or is there some other way of doing it?

If anyone has done this can you let me know which is the best / easist way..( the mechanic said he could do it for 450 with parts)..
I would like to do it cheaper if i can..

Thanks
D

We just replaced our outer bearings and it was $15 per side to have the bearings pressed on by a machine shop. Are you asking about the inner bearings because that is a bit more of a problem as you have to worry about the spacers. $450 would be extremely high for outer bearings. By the way sometimes they are stuck past the point of using a torch and lever so the $15 for the machine shop starts looking pretty good. :laugh3:

The 88' is a non-cclip. Remove the brake drum, and un-bolt the 4 bolts holding the axle backing plate. If you pull on the axle with your left hand, while hitting the flange with hammer with your right hand, it should pop right off.

Bring the axles to a machine shop (NAPA) and they can replace the bearings and seals.

Back