• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overhead ? not urgent just curious

funvtec

NAXJA Forum User
i've searched and the only info i turned up was that my overhead display temp sensor was near my grill somewhere.

the ? i have is my temp in my display goes sky high when i'm not moving (into the 90's) when i start to move it goes back down and is accurate everytime i stop it goes up sometimes it goes so fast it skips digits what would cause this? its not a big problem i would just like to cure it

any info is a help (noobee) thanks

Mine does the same thing. My thought on that is the heat that radiates from the radiator affects the reading. You may try putting a shield around the back of it to block some heat.

Later

Phil

bumper1.jpg

The temp sensor will read higher when you stop. It does seem odd that it jumps that quickly though. Do you have a front skid or something that may help trap the heat?

thanks for the pic. and no i dont have a front skid i actually just removed the rubber gaurd while i ws under ther replacing my alternetor and that didn't seem to help how about relocating it to the cowel?

I believe they placed it down low to be able to give the driver an idea of the temperature near the road. You want to know when it is icing up. The problem with shielding it from the back is that you won't get as good air flow around it when you are driving. It will take longer to get to true temp. I have found that in cold weather it may take a mile or 2 for it to "cool" down depending on how long you have been sitting. In hot weather, it may take longer. Both are worst case conditions. I remember the first time I saw it hit 120! That is when I realized it must be radiator heat I was starting to read.

I was just wondering if this problem might have something to do with the year......... I have a 99 and have tested temperature readings with the sensor in 3 different locations (behind passenger side headlight, stock location and in the airbox). All 3 positions yielded roughly the same exact results. I think I read somewhere that the computer will not allow the temperature reading to rise unless you are driving at a certain speed and the engine has been running for about 2 minutes (to prevent the sensor from picking up the radiator heat). Not sure where I saw that info, but I'm sure I saw it in a manual or online somewhere (not just word of mouth). So maybe after a certain year this idea was implemented?

My main problem with the sensor was that it would always read exactly 6 degrees ABOVE the correct temperature. I cured this by adding a variable resistor inline with the signal wire coming from the sensor. I then calibrated the temperature with the variable resistor. Worked perfectly :)

Something interesting I found, at least with mine, being that I put my overhead in. When I disconnect the orange/black and blue/red wire for the dimmer, I don't have the issue where the temp is off when I start the car or at idle. Not sure why at all. Seems that it only fluctuates about 2 degrees if at all when I'm idling for a length of time........

does this temp sensor control anything, other then the temp readout that it displasy in the overhead console? and do you know where you can get one of these sensors part number something like that. thanks

Jeep839 said:
does this temp sensor control anything, other then the temp readout that it displasy in the overhead console? and do you know where you can get one of these sensors part number something like that. thanks

Hi,
All it does is tell you the outside temperature :) The part number is 4688204AB, and the current price was $16.60 back when I bought mine last november or so.

Jeep839 said:
I think I have three or four sensors at the moment. You can usually find one at the wreckers.
Just pay for shipping and I can send you one if you'd like. Just PM me.

Sensor number for the 97-01 is #55036214 (supercedes 55036215) It's on the right.
4688204AB is on the left. I'm not sure when then went to the newer style but both have the same connector.
dsc04433.jpg

I'm using one out of a grand cherokee '96 that's like the one on the right, have a couple from chry. minivans as well. Test them all, and they all say the same temp. Not sure what the real differences are but how they attach to the vehicle they've been pulled from. Haven't found any.

I used to have a Chry minivan that had the overhead on it. It was a 93,and that thing was dead on almost all the time (never off more than a degree) even when it would set and idle for a while. My dad has a 95 T&C, and I have never heard him complaine about it being off eather. Mabey it's just the way there mounted on the XJ that does it. My old lady has a ZJ with the overhead too, but I've never really payed to much attention to it to determend it's accuracy.

On a stock XJ the temp sensor is shielded pretty well against engine heat but once the splash shield/liner is removed from under the front of the Jeep, heat bleeds forward causing higher readings at low speeds or when stopped.

thanks guy your all very helpfull!

has anyone ever changed the mounting point?

funvtec said:
thanks guy your all very helpfull!

has anyone ever changed the mounting point?

Yes, see my post a few back (put it behind the passenger headlight area, and also in the airbox). SURPRISINGLY, my readings were pretty consistent in all 3 locations. I think a guy had his mounted in the rear of the vehicle somewhere too, but I don't think he ever specified exactly where.

i got ya sorry i missed it just skimmed right over

Back