• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 35/chrysler 8.25

cgflightmech

NAXJA Forum User
what is the difference between the dana 35 rear axle and the chrysler 8.25 rear axle? Is the Chrysler 8.25 thicker? I think I got the wrong u-bolts from RE with my lift. Can I get these u-bolts at a marine supply store or hardware store?

thanks

Yes, the axle tubes are wider on an 8.25, so different u-bolts are needed. You can probably find them at any auto parts store.

Axletubes on the C8.25" are 3 inches, while the D35 is 2.75" in diameter. RE's ordering form defaults to the D35 unless otherwise specified.

As mentioned, you can get the bolts from most auto parts stores.

One other thing. The leaf pins will be bigger for the dana axle (at least this was the case on my 2000) so you will have to either grind thim dowm, or find ones to fit the 8.25. I would emagine it wouldn't be to hard to do with a bench grinder. I had access to a lathe for mine. You also should be able to drill out the holes on the axle unless anyone more knowledgable says it's a bad idea.

Scooby - since these are RE leafs they should also have the larger (3/8" vs 5/16") center pin. However, good point about the size of the pins head; when I installed the 3.5" RE springs I had a C8.25" axle and the pins were too large. I ended up chucking the center pin in a 1/2" drill and spinning it while hitting the now-spinning head with an angle grinder. Needless to say, I recommend two people while performing this trick...

Back