• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some questions about my XJ

chief xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a 98 XJ. I just installed a Powertrax No-Slip on it this weekend, and decided to work on a couple other things that did not work right. The first problem I have is with the AC. The compressor will not cycle at all, unless I put a jumper in the low pressure cycling clutch switch, then the compressor works fine. So, is it safe to assume that the switch is shot, or could there be another problem somewhere else? Another question I have is there is no cover for the PCM like I saw on other years. Should there be one on it? Lastly, I think it might be missing a firewall grommet. However, maybe there isn't supposed to be one in there, I would like to post a picture of the hole in the firewall, but I cant for some reason. Thanks for the help,

Brandon

Well, my dum question is -- if the compressor works when you jumper the low-pressure safty, are you sure the system is properly charged? If it's low on refrigerent, it isn't supposed to work.

Brandon....you can't post pics here....only in the picture showcase forum
It also sounds like your a/c system might be low on freon. Jumping the switch forces the system to run but that's not a good thing to do. The freon that circulates throughout the system also casrries the oil around with it and that lubricates the compressor. If your system is low, and you are making it run with the jumper, the compressor may be starved of oil while it is running.
The best thing to do is have a technician look at it.

Pcm cover????? not sure what you mean by that.

hope this helps

Later

Phil

Thanks for the replies,

Well, I guess there is a chance that it may be low on freon. I pressed one of the Schrader valves and did see and hear freon coming out, but I guess I should have the system pressure tested. I wasn't cycling the compressor for very long. The cover I was referring to is the black cover that covers the PCM next to the air filter assembly. Mine doesn’t have one, and I remember seeing other XJ's that had that cover. I will keep you's updated on my progress with the AC. Thankfully I have a factory service manual, so that should help me out a bit. Thanks again…

Brandon

Back