• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ starts up with high RPM's then Idles @900

dan89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
(background info 89 XJ w/4.0L and Automatic)

Well, this problem I'm having is getting quite annoying. When doing errands, I'd make alot of stops and keep getting this High RPM start up. According to my factory Tach, it'd wind up to about 2,000 rpm right when the Renix systems decides to fire, then calm down back to about 900 RPM.

I assume this is a TPS problem ? Well, I got a cleaner looking TPS from the junkyard and swapped it. No diffrence really.. I have the Haynes repair manual for the 84-00 XJ's or something like that, it has a short paragraph on how to daginose and replace the TPS - and It dosent work ! I cant find the voltage changes and whatnot. I'm not even sure If im testing the right wires.. because there are alot more wires than the book says. I cant seem to adjust it either. I did a search on here and WOW, It seems like there are alot of methods out there.. Can anyone tell me the Best way to do it with a DVM and the latest approved method ? How about a scan out of this FSM I hear so much about.

TIA

Frustrated,
Dan

go to search and type in "TPS specifications" , go to the thread that says "weird readings" or something like that, scroll down and find response from "8mud", he gives all the specs. and procedure to test TPS. Replaced mine a few months ago with a new one....acting up again already with same prob. you are having.

Back