• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OK - Transmission Fluid Poll

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
There have been a lot of conflicting reports lately on what the AW4 likes to drink. Let's hammer this one out.

All (or most) of us know that the AW4 doesn't care for synthetic fluid, but if you are using syn with no ill effects - and have change the synthetic fluid at least once since then - go ahead and sound off.

If you tried synthetic and found out it didn't work, tell use what happened.

Whatever you are using (I don't care about brand - just type,) I'd like to hear it. I also want to know why, how long, what year, and how many miles. I'll start

1989XJ 4.0/AW4/242/D30/D35
Dexron II/III - per owner's manual and FSM
180K miles

1987XJ 4.0/AW4/231/D30/D35
Dexron II/III - per owner's manual and FSM
265K miles

Next?

5-90

I use Mercon/Dexron III in mine, with only 84K miles on the clock. As far as I know, that's all that's been used in it. I've changed it once, and it was changed once before I owned it. No flushes, just a pan drop and filter change.

I am planning on adding a bottle of "Lubegard" in the red bottle. The Lubegard is supposed to extend the life of the fluid, and is the only additive that's recommended by trans rebuilders and several auto manufacturers. It replaces the whale oil that was used in ATF until the mid-seventys, when the endangered species act took effect. Up until then, trans fluid was rarely changed, and the trans were usually trouble-free up to 200K miles.

I'm also thinking of adding a remote filter for the ATF. Anyone have experience with these on the AW-4?

I´ve been putting Mobile ATF Mercon/Dexron III in mine. Mine was slipping after the dealer put a load of Chyrsler ATF in it, bought the Mobile because it was cheap and I planned a couple of quick changes, to clean out the old fluid. No more slippage (for the last 2 years) so I stuck with the Mobile. Seems to work just fine in mine, 160,000 miles, a mix of high speed runs (above 80), trailer towing, snow, mud and stop a go traffic.
I usually change my fluid yearly. 88, 4.0, AW4.

1992 4.0 HO AW4
Dextron III with Lucas Brand Transmission Additive (this stuff is GREAT!)
212,000 Miles

Mobil 1 after 5k break-in, then multiple flushes (expensive) purged 95% of original fluid, new filter, after 96k absolutely no problems whatsoever. Filter every 20k or so, every few k miles I drop whatever comes out (always pristine) and replace, about 3.5 quarts in between filter changes (darn that dipstick and crossmember.:rattle:

No leaks or seeps, tell me, who began the speculative rumor that syn is bad for the aw4?

I'm still running 3.55's w/31's until I get the downtime to install the 4.10's, entire xj 'bout 500 lbs. heavier than stock too.

Oh the oem oil cooler might help a bit, too.

I actually think that most of that has to do with people switching over after a hundred thousand miles or so, and the box getting confused. Doing the 5k break-in, you didn't cause much wear and therefore aren't causing yourself any trouble.

OTOH, when there's a fair amount of wear (I'm guessing anything over 75K or so, and being conservative at that) you have enough wear on the clutches that synthetic fluid is "too" slippery, and that is why people lose mileage. Since you didn't have that much wear when you switched (5k miles is about enough to deburr the internals) you didn't have that problem, and are therefore likely to be just fine if you drive to the moon and back (about a half million miles.)

As far as synthetics go, I tend to not suggest them for high-milers, simply because I've seen it entirely too often where it will go past a seal that was holding just fine on regular oil - but synthetic leaks past it due mainly to the increased lubricity of the oil.

Just an old mechanic's observations...

5-90

You have a great point, once in a while when I'm waiting at the parts counter, I play with one of those Lucas Lubricant toys where you crank it and the gears rotate and the Lucas additive product clings like honey to the gear teeth, very impressive.

Then you rotate the other side filled with conventional gear oil and the lube acts like Three-In-One oil, barely adhereing to the gear teeth, dripping off like rainwater. Hmm...

Then... I come to my senses and and think about that old adage ...if it ain't broken, and leave well enough alone. I never thought about it from your perspective. Thanks for the lesson :lecture:.

I run synthetic fluid in mine. Redline ATF. Switched over at 142,364 miles and am now at 177,000 miles. No problems what so ever. Was having problems with the regular fluid turning slightly brown after a few months use(not burned), switch to Redline and it's been fine since then. And according to Redline their ATF has the same slipperness that the regualr ATF does. I don't buy that synthetic fluid isn't good for the tranny either.

i did a flush at my work with dexron III/mercon. we used the machine to pump through teh system and clean all the brown sludge out. then refilled. it takes 16 quarts this way but when you work at a stealership there is a ton of extra lying around. now it shifts like a dream.

I played with those gears and lubs too. I realized that if you crank slow the difference is obvious. The problem is the gears never turn that slow. Try cranking faster and look at the difffernece- not much and it is harder to crank due to the higher viscosity. Not a sale for me.

I have been using Mobil1 synthetic ATF for over 10 years in my ’91 AW4. I have also tried using conventional oil (Mopar Dexron II/III) two times (complete flush). The duration time on regular oil was about 1 to 2 months. The only difference is noticeable smoother shifts with synthetic oil.
Knowing the advantages of synthetic oils, I will always use them wherever I can.
I have changed the filter couple of times, but that was unnecessary. I did not see any unusual debris/particles during these oil changes. The filters looked new and the pan was clean.

still fun to crank the gears until the parts guy returns and tells you your starter is out of stock, but he does have a rebuild kit for your aw4, should you need one...:laugh3:

GSequoia said:
'89...

Tried synth blend a long time ago, transmission was slipping after that.

Flushed with B12 - problem cured.

Now I run standard DexIII

for those of you who enjoy the smooth shifting of teh synthetics remember what a 40 year tranny shop vet told me.....on an aw4 if its smooth its slippin. They are designed for a positive shift to help stop wear. that is one of the reasons they last so long. The tranny fluid does more than lubricate it allso adds a friction element to the clutch discs.

Weasel said:
mine shifts awesome, hard and fast. Could be a bit quicker and harder for my tastes though, I drive with the power switch on always.

Power Switch... is this on later model XJ's or something? My mom's old Nissan Pathfinder had one of those it just changed the shift points higher but i never knew that they put them on XJ's what year XJ do you have? Mines a 2000.

Back