• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ not startin sometimes, maybe starter, please confirm.

John - JeepsWorld.com

NAXJA Forum User
OK sometimes the XJ doesnt start up until the forth or fith turn of the key.
Some times it just fires right up.

But some times I get a "click" and no crank, until the 4th or 5th time.

some times I get a click then a delay (1 sec.) then crank.

I think its the starter cuz I drowned the jeep in a river, and this was 3 or 4 weeks ago, after changing all fluids out.

So would you think its the starter?

I did replace it about a year and half ago, but Im sure starters are meant to go swimming.

Actually, starters often go swimming when fording streams. Nonetheless, your symptoms do sound like starter-related. If you get a click the solenoid is working, so the sa=tarter itself isn't getting with the program.

The replacement you put in didn't by any chance have a lifetime warranty, did it? I don't expect my AutoZone starter to last as long as the OEM did, but the next one will be free ... and the one after that, and the one ...

Sounds like the same thing that was wrong with mine....except mine didn't go swimming when it went bad.....change it yourself...saves you $$$

starter woes on 91xj

My '91 4.0 is having a similar starting problem, but mine either starts or it doesn't. No clicking. I usually roll under the car and hit the starter with a hammer and it starts right up. This is getting old, however...I assume I need a new starter?

Thanks for advice...

I had the same problem, I just changed the selenoid, it was 15 bucks, at the AZ.

BTW, Eagle AZ "lifetime" warranty means the first one only. They will give you the one year warranty part the second time.

Mine did the same... replaced with Pep Boys starter and haven't had a problem since. It does have a lifetime warranty for as long as I own the Chief. Mine was the solonoid but I couldn't get it off the starter so I just replaced the whole mess.

I am having the same problem. I replaced my starter/solenoid about 6 months ago. After about 15 tries today, I finally gave up and had to drive another car. Anyway, all I have to do is replace the starter/solenoid, correct? Thanks. Later.

same thing happend to my starter.
sounds like you might have a flat spot on your burshes... i would sometimes have too turn the ignition 15 or 20 times before it quit compleatly causing me to push start it across south dakota (not something i recomend when driving solo)

I also had the same problem. Sometimes it would start right up, other times it would do nothing but click. Then one day, no clicks and no start. Put in Autozone cheapy and been running fine ever since. Really easy to do, took about 20 min.

90red

I had my starter tested at advanced auto parts last night. Turns out it was bad, so they gave me a new one. Luckily it had a lifetime warranty. This will be my 3rd starter. Thanks for the help. Later.

truckeejeeper said:
My '91 4.0 is having a similar starting problem, but mine either starts or it doesn't. No clicking. I usually roll under the car and hit the starter with a hammer and it starts right up. This is getting old, however...I assume I need a new starter?

Thanks for advice...

Classic symptoms of bad starter / solenoid. The hammer trick is most enjoyable on a hot motor stalled in 8" of swamp muck.
Solenoid is replacable seperately but solenoid was $30+ (locally) with no/90 day warranty where starter was $65 & had lifetime warranty.

Remember that early XJ's (Renix, don't know about any HO XJ's...) also had a start solenoid mounted on fenderwell just behind battery.

Back