• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 XJ lights in instrument panel are on during braking

92XJMass

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, What you guys think that everytime I push the brake pedal the lights in my instrument cluster are on. How to trouble shoot this thing?
Thanks

Last edited:
92XJMass said:
Hi, What you guys think that everytime I push the brake pedal the lights in my instrument cluster are on. How to trouble shoot this thing?
Thanks

Generally speaking when turning one thing on makes another go on too, it's a bad ground somewhere. In this case I'm guessing that the brake light ground is broken or corroded, so when you push the brake, they seek ground through the taillight circuit, which will include the instrument lights. I think the common ground point is behind the panel behind the spare tire. Check for corrosion and bad bulbs in the lights too.

I had this problem among others and it turned out to be my trailer hitch wiring pigtail. If you have an aftermarket hitch installed, try removing the wires and see what happens.

Back