• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Cherokee factory spare tire rack?

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have an XJ with the factory spare tire rack? The kind that swings out from the passenger side of the Jeep to clear the rear lift gate?

Will it stand up to the weight of a 33" tire? And maybe a jerry can and a high-lift?

Can it be opened with one hand?

Will it fit on a 2001? The sheet metal in the back didn't change, right?

There is an article on how to retrofit it on MadXJ.

It says it's not up to large tires, and also says it fell off. ?? But I'm thinking I could beef it up a little. I guess it is all a function of how strong the hinges are or how strong they could be made to be.

This is what I'm interested in doing if it suits my needs. I think I saw one on a carcass in one of the local wreckers.

I have a C-Rok rear bumper but I don't think the C-Rok tire carrier will suit my purposes. I can see the spousal unit complaining about getting it open with a kidlet and/or groceries in the arms. My Jeep is a daily driver grocery getter - and lately she's been driving it more than I have.

Any info or alternatives appreciated.

r@m

The older AMC racks are far superior to the newer crystler racks. The old ones have a top support that connects to the body, as well as the lower support on the bumper. The latch is also superior to the newer one's i've seen.

You can see mine in this picture http://www.geocities.com/foxfire13.geo/images/jeep12.html

I had to modify the mount so a 31x10.5 would fit. I just cut the mount off and bolted it back on with some plates, so it was a couple inches longer. the mod is obvious in the pic - note that I now have plenty of room left when the 10.5 is on it, I think a 33x12.5 would fit. I don't think I would go any bigger than that though, but for weight reasons - the weight is farther back than stock and much heavier. I have driven many miles with the 31 on there and it still works as intended. It wouldn't be too hard to add another latch to make it more solid.

Yes you can open it with one hand.

I wouldn't put anything heavier than a 32" spare by itself on the stock carrier. After time it will screw up the body and alignment of the hatch if too much weight is put on it.

Slip Kid said:
The older AMC racks are far superior to the newer crystler racks. The old ones have a top support that connects to the body, as well as the lower support on the bumper. The latch is also superior to the newer one's i've seen.

Thanks for that tip. Can you clarify which years or series had which latch?

r@m

There is a stock XJ tire carrier on ebay...just saw it today. I saw it, before I saw this thread though. Just thought I'd give you the head's up.

-Dan

Back