• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 - 241 plantry swap.

cyrus

NAXJA Forum User
Any one have any info on swaping 241 gear train into a 231, and a heavy chain kit for the 231?
I know I have heard about this being done, but couldn't find any detailed info any were on this forum.

I found on thread that this was mentioned but it had nothing as far as specifics or a direction as to look.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15580&highlight=241+gear+231

Any help would be appreciated.

I've heard it can be done, but I would suggest getting a Rubicon rock-trac t-case. I just got 1 for $1k and am going to now sell my 231 with the SYE. This can easily be inchitis in regards to the t-case and you will then want to do a 4:1 etc etc, so I would just think what your long range goals are and plan accordingly. The 231 is a good case, but don't sink $1K+ into it, I wouldn't personally, especially now that a 241 Rock trac is a bolt in.

Troy

cyrus said:
Any one have any info on swaping 241 gear train into a 231, and a heavy chain kit for the 231?
I know I have heard about this being done, but couldn't find any detailed info any were on this forum.

I found on thread that this was mentioned but it had nothing as far as specifics or a direction as to look.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15580&highlight=241+gear+231

Any help would be appreciated.

I read something about it on BC4x4. Try google.

The chain sprockets I have came from a NP231HD from a Dodge pickup. I found a place where I could get a new chain for around $80.

Tom H. what year dodge is the hd231 in? I want to up the chain size as well, I've heard you can go to an 1 1/4 inch chain as well, is this true?

As far as the rock trac goes. I would love to do that, but dont have a 1k laying around to thro into a new t-case, I already have the AA hd SYE kit and dont want to cut the floor for the needed extra clearance.

I have a couple of 241's in the barn, one is toast and the other is good.

I will check out madxj and bc4x4 and see what they say.

Thanks for the help.

The planetary from the 241 will swap, but to use a wider chain, you need the sprockets and chain from a 231D or 207. The sprockets for the 241 are way too large in diameter to fit in the 231 case. I have a pretty good article on www.madxj.com. Jeff

Thanks Jeff, this is the kind of info I have been looking for. This is all just research for future modification.

Back