• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homebuilt bumper/tirecarrier pics and writeups needed...

a_hiatt

NAXJA Forum User
hi, im thinking of building my own rear bumper w/ tire carrier sometime soon. I'm wondering what design most of you use and how they hold up. ive heard of some that work great but ive also heard of some that didnt hold up to anything but street driving. if you made your own and have pics please post. and yes ive searched

Some Qustions first, What do you want to put on the rack? Have you ever attempted to do any fabrication before, and last but not least can you weld? If it's just for a tire it shouldn't be to hard to get what you want. If you want more on it ie: Hi-lift jack, airbottle, gas and water cans, it can get a bit more technical.

heres mine. it mounts to the hitch, hinges on the lower bolt, pins with the hitch pin, lay it down to acces the hatch. works great and its stronger than the hitch its bolted to. i usually take it off when i go wheeling and toss the tire inside because it hampers my departure angle a little. hope this gives you an idea.
rear.jpg

tirecarrierpin.jpg

rearfolded.jpg

postlift.jpg

olivedrabcj7 said:
heres mine. it mounts to the hitch, hinges on the lower bolt, pins with the hitch pin, lay it down to acces the hatch. works great and its stronger than the hitch its bolted to. i usually take it off when i go wheeling and toss the tire inside because it hampers my departure angle a little. hope this gives you an idea.
rear.jpg

tirecarrierpin.jpg

rearfolded.jpg

postlift.jpg

I like your wheel who make's it

Thanks
Zzzz

the wheel on the tire carrier is a stock XJ wheel painted black. the 4 on the ground are US wheel brand from summit racing.

if youre asking who makes the tire carrier, i made it.

its weatherproof camo ATV tape. realtree pattern.

Back