• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead console Q's - beware 56k

dan89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Heres my question in picture format:

OHconsole%20001.jpg

+

OHconsole%20003.jpg

:)

Well, first of all.. you can see my headliner needs work.. so i ran down to the junkyard to find me a rear cargo light fixture to add when I work on the headliner.. and ended up getting me a OH console !

I think the console came out of a 91 XJ - but im not sure.. can anyone veryify what year it came out of ? And my XJ is an 89. So, can i get this to work ?

more pics of console

http://sideshow.dyndns.org/XJpics/

Any suggestions, ideas, commets ?

Thanks !
Dan

Last edited:
Gack - can you shrink the pics a bit? That looks just like the one out of my 96, and you've got the brackets to hang it. I'll see if I can grab a pic of the locations tonight and post it.

Two suggestions, either shrink the pics or have a 42" monitor deliverd to my house and so I won't put you out any just ship monitor :D

Anything can work, I'd grab the harness though, might make it a bit easier. And pay attention to how they ran it...

I got the sucker installed last summer.. I did go back and got the wiring harness.. I got some wiring diagrams for the OH console from someone here on naxja.com.. and I got it worked out, but just havent completed all the wiring connections yet.

I can't quite make out the detail. Can you make the picture larger by maybe 2 or 3 times the current size? :laugh3:

not wanting to hijack the thread but this will probably be dana89XJ's next question.. how do you program the settings.. my direction is correct but the temperature reads SC.. can anyone tell me how to program it?

Temperature readings cannot be calibrated. As the sensors gets older, it may read inaccurate by a few degrees (or more). Replacing it with a new one would be your best option. They run about $20-25 at the dealer.
I'm not sure what SC on your display stands for but the newer consoles will readout 'OC' for 'open circuit' if it doesn't receive a reading from the temp sensor. In this case I would double check the sensor wiring.
'SC' could possibly stand for 'sensor circuit' or 'sensor connection'??

well when i hold in both buttons for about 5 seconds it comes up and says something like set 1 and you can change it through 1 through 10, so i dunno, i messed with with and thats when i messed up the temp reading.. this was long long ago while she was stock.. didnt know if it had mpg like my friends grand cherokee so i messed around with it a bit..

I believe the function you entered was to calibrate the compass magnetic variance. You'll need to set the variance to the area of the country you are located so the compass will read correctly.
All pre97 XJ overhead consoles only display compass & temperature readings. The mileage and other computer fuctions were added with the 97-01 XJ model years.

Back