• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Radiator/ No fan

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
I'm kind of assuming the reason I haven't heard my auxillary fan kick on yet is because the new radiator is keeping it below temp. At what temp is the electric fan supposed to kick on with a 4.0 ? ? ?

Depends on the year, 220 or so seems to be familiar. Turn on your A/C or defrosters, that will kick on the compressor which will trigger the aux fan or should.

Ok I put power to the fan and it works. I just isn't switching on. I turned on the AC then the de-frost , still nothing. I never goes over 190 if that makes a difference. I just want to make sure everything is working before the weather warms up. If the sensor from the radiator is bad will it still kick on when you trun on the AC ?

does your ac work?? if your ac is shot the fan wont work either. but yeh if its only getting to arround 190* then it wont be comming on I wouldnt worry about it.

check the relay on the driver side fenderwell... mine was all corroded and i took it off, cleaned the contacts put it in and its good... at worse case that relay is less than 15 bux at most autopart stores

JOe

The fan on w/ AC is a function of the compressor clutch control. If the ambient temp is low enough, the pressure in the AC system can be low enough that the compressor does not cycle on. If the clutch does not come on, no fan.

explorer said:
The fan on w/ AC is a function of the compressor clutch control. If the ambient temp is low enough, the pressure in the AC system can be low enough that the compressor does not cycle on. If the clutch does not come on, no fan.

setting the heat control to "defrost" over-rides that function as a means to dehumidify the air... so if the fan doesnt work on defrost there is another issue.. but if there is a problem that the compressor clutch doesnt "kick", the fan might not run...

(Sid)The fan that isn't working is the Auxillary Cooling fan.
It may be because I never get over 200 degrees. The AC doesn't have freon in it, but the compressor works. lost the freon in a wreck. These all are bugs I'm working out since the wreck in June. So I take it unless I start getting above 220 and it doesn't kick on don't sweat it ?

the compressor wont work if there is no freon in the system... there is a pressure switch that kicks the compressor on.... forget the actual name but an empty system will not turn on the compressor...

JOe

boise49ers said:
It may be because I never get over 200 degrees. The AC doesn't have freon in it, but the compressor works. lost the freon in a wreck. These all are bugs I'm working out since the wreck in June. So I take it unless I start getting above 220 and it doesn't kick on don't sweat it ?

If the low pressure cutoff is open, the clutch and hence the fan will not come on. Yes it will cycle in def. mode, but again, not if the press. switch is open.

When you say the compressor works, when is it coming on? Are you jumping the pressure switch to run the compressor?

Just a side note;
What temp. thermostat do you have in it? Most temps., as seen by the abundance of overheating threads, are in the 200* range and 190* seems a little low.
I put a new radiator in my 96 and it made a difference, but it still runs at the 210 mark or slightly below. This is the normal operating temp so I am not content with that.
Just my $.02

Closed system radiators with the e-fan sensor mounted in the rad shouldn't use teflon thread tape on the sensor when installing. It has an o-ring to seal and if you use thread tape it will insulate the sensor enough from the radiator to cause erratic sensor operation. Dunno what year the OP is talking about but if it's one of those and they used thread tape on the sensor, I'd give that a look.

boise49ers said:

so am i.. it is supposed to cycle on and off every 15 seconds or so when the deforst mode is used and over rides the other circuits..

as a side note i just replaced my closed-system in the 90 with a new GDI for a 95 open-system.. since i replaced the fan clutch and t/stat it ran at 210 exactly.. new radiator and some "water wetter" it holds 195... not much driving on it since the swap but it seems to be a bit cooler... will probably run a new manual/auto harness for the aux fan since most of the A/C system was removed with a sawzall.. :wierd:

Nope I just used the o-ring it had. I guess the compressor isn't turning on if it is out of freon then, if there is a pressure switch. It has a 190 thermostat. Runs right about 190 and climbs to 210 periodically. It is a fairly new motor 8K and brand new CSF radiator. I just don't want surprises on a new motor come summer.
Thanks !

what relay on driver side fender we speaking of got a pic ?

mine does same thing ac pump dont turn it on but fan kicks on when warm

do the 97 and newer fans have themostats in them ? or run the same thermo stat ?

is it the small black cube on driver fender we speak of ?

1 inch by 1 inch cube ? or there abouts

do the 97 and newer fans have themostats in them ? anyone have a clue on this ?

Last edited:
My AC does not work , has not for over a year, compressor does not kick in, however my aux. elec. fan did work with my old radiator , but it was bad, used to overheat all the time in the summer. I replaced it with a new 2-row, overheating prob. solved...elec. fan has never kicked in again,fan and relay are good, fan just has not had a reason to come on.

Back