• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ordered my lift!!! What should I expect/do?

McFly

NAXJA Forum User
Hi folks!!!

I ordered a RE6030 (3.5" SuperFlex) yesterday with (4) OME long-travel shocks. I'm planning on adding this to my 2" BB I currently have. It should be here next week and I'd like to install it next weekend.

RE6030.jpg

ome.JPG

So what do I do now? I know to spray down all my bolts like everyday between now and then with some PB Blaster... should I buy a little propane heat torch or something?

As far as the drive-line angles and vibes - I'll be picking up an AA SYE and Tom Wood's Drive-Shaft around April 1st. Between now and then - what should I do? The guy I ordered it from recommended 6* shims...

I've just never really done my own suspension lift (besides shackles and such). I'm afraid my shock bolts will break or something?

All advice is appreciated (except that I'm keeping my BB). :D Thanks!

You might run just the 3.5" until you get the slip yoke. Also if you combine the two lifts you may need an adjutable upper set of control arms to straighten up castor, and maybe new shocks. good luck.

baldwinwb said:
You might run just the 3.5" until you get the slip yoke. Also if you combine the two lifts you may need an adjutable upper set of control arms to straighten up castor, and maybe new shocks. good luck.

yup - you will need the adjustable UCA's and probably adjustable LCA's for your ned 5.5" height

i would also STRONGLY reccomend a trackbar to fix the crazy angle that your trackbar TRE will now be at ~5.5" lift

baldwinwb said:
I got new shocks - there's a pic up above. :D I thought about running just the new lift and removing the BB, but I don't have a pair of stock shackles. :(

wait until you get all the parts.

adjustable control arms, track bar, new tires, regearing........... the price is going to add up real quick.

breaking shock bolts is part of owning a jeep and lifting it. have drill bits and tap set ready.

baldwinwb said:
Where those shocks designed for a 3.5" lift or 5.5"?
It shouldn't be hard to find some used stock shackles.
Yeah they're the long travel shocks. I had the same set of shocks on my TJ with 38.5"s and 8" of lift.

89xj said:
wait until you get all the parts.

adjustable control arms, track bar, new tires, regearing........... the price is going to add up real quick.

breaking shock bolts is part of owning a jeep and lifting it. have drill bits and tap set ready.

I don't mind driving around for two weeks with some vibes... I think it'll give me a chance to figure out what I really need, what's being affected under my Jeep. I have a 2nd vehicle, so if it gets really bad, I'm not gonna BREAK my Jeep lol!

When I break the shock bolts, what do I do? I've seen like JKS bar pin elminators, shock adapters, etc... but I don't really know what they do and if I'd need them or not.

XJ_ranger said:
yup - you will need the adjustable UCA's and probably adjustable LCA's for your ned 5.5" height

i would also STRONGLY reccomend a trackbar to fix the crazy angle that your trackbar TRE will now be at ~5.5" lift

Right on... any brand you recommend for the UCA's and trackbar? I like the looks of the JKS ones but I know looks aren't everything - lol!

Also, I somehow managed to go from +223 reputation points to -660 in about an hour. Is this normal? Would that be from just the one disapprove whatnot I got? It said "will not listen to good advise". :| And that was from my 1st post.

I'm just trying to learn what I can expect doing my first REAL suspension lift and what I might need when problems arise. Thanks. :)

McFly said:
Right on... any brand you recommend for the UCA's and trackbar? I like the looks of the JKS ones but I know looks aren't everything - lol!

Anyone recommend good UCA's and trackbar? I have a feeling I'll need to pick these up too when I get my SYE/DS combo in the next few weeks.

Also - I found this GREAT article from RockLizardFabrication -
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/broken_shock_mounts.htm

Has a lotta great pics, and I don't feel so bad about breaking my shock bolts anymore. :)

Wait till you get all the parts. The big thing I just found out this weekend is that after getting the rear done, the front was 1/2 done and I realized that they sent two of the same side transfer case to lower control arm brackets. Rule of thumb is to test fit everything first. I think the 6 degree shims may be too much. They recommended that for mine, and I have the 3.5 springs and a 1.5 shackle. I also installed a SYE hack n tap and it is smoother now than factory. Let me know if you need a pic. I need to take some new photos anyway. I think I am running 6 inches. The lift took 2 days also by the way. Prepare to have every tool known to mankind at your fingertips including a grinder, tap and die, air tools and a air grinder for the output shaft. I good electric drill for tapping the output hole as well.

Forgot to mention the main issue I had. The fitment of the lower control arms in the lower drop brackets had to be ground down in order to fit. Also the lower arms from RE have the zerk fitting at the front of the vehicle and on top. The guy at RE told me the exact opposite. I really like the solid feel of the upper and lower control arms from RE. The track bar is solid and adjusted everything perfectly. Don't forget to loosen the front driveshaft from the yoke as it makes things alot easier also.

I agree 6* shims might be way too much, specially with a 4" lift. I have a 6" RE lift with a T/W SYE and I am was about 1 to 2 degrees to high, with 6* shims. Needed 4* shims, really depends on your XJ. you might even want to order a set of 2* shims, just to have the option.

Are you sure you want to mix the lifts? I was under the impression that if you mix spacers with bigger springs, you can run into a lot of problems even with sye,trackbar, and uppercontrol arms. I could be wrong, but Mabey you would be more satisfied with the RE lift on by itself. From what i've heard, The RE lift is top of the line engineered lift. Personally, I would be happy with that lift alone. Good choice of lift!
Brian

I broke 3 of the 4 bolts for the rear shocks....happens to the best of us.

Some may call it the "pansy" way of doing it, but for the love of god use power tools. I could've done my lift in about half the time if I didn't waste time using regular hand tools. I wasted more time just trying to get the old stuff out more than anything.

last tip, don't hacksaw anything, even if you buddy says its ok to hack off the top of the swaybar links..... lesson learned.

Back