• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control arms

Wondo

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, i installed some lower control arms today to fix my problem of the stock ones not being long enough and pulling the axle back, i have a 3 inch rustys kit on, and now i have some minor vibes. I'm guessing its due to the fact that the pinion angle is now changed a bit up front? To fix this i would have to get new upper arms right? Would it damage or hurt anything to drive like this, its only very minor vibes. Thanks guys!

Dave

ah jeez i believe its the 231, its a 97 auto, its in 2wd, but i had no vibes before, because i dropped the t-case an inch.

if its the 231 your vibe are probably not due to the front driveshaft. Easiest way to check is to swap back your old control arms.

easier to pull the front drive shaft. If you think the vibrations are from an increase angle on the front D/S ujoints becase of pinion rotation, remove the drive shaft and see if they are still there.

DaffyXJ said:
easier to pull the front drive shaft. If you think the vibrations are from an increase angle on the front D/S ujoints becase of pinion rotation, remove the drive shaft and see if they are still there.

I agree, much easier.

how much loger did you adjut them to compared to the stock ones. with a three inch, they dont need to be much longer. maybe an 1/8 to 1/4

hey guys its def. the front shaft that is making the vibes. I pulled it and everything, and yep its that making the vibes... any idea's on an easy fix for this? THanks guys

Dave

check the u-joints and if there ok have it rebalanced. possible you knocked off a weight?:dunno:

if it was alignment wouldnt it do it regardless of whether or not the driveshaft is in

Heh...he pulled the driveshaft. Good point. I need to go sleep now...

Wondo said:
hey guys its def. the front shaft that is making the vibes. I pulled it and everything, and yep its that making the vibes... any idea's on an easy fix for this? THanks guys

Dave

Check your pinion and caster angles. If your new lowers are fixed, then you would generally use adjustable uppers to set the angles. Try to get the best compromise between pinion/caster, favoring the pinion angle. GoJeep has some instructions on how to measure caster at the diff cover on his page. I nomally just set an angle finder right on the upper ball joint to find caster :dunno:

Back