• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best deer guard, i mean bumper out there?

5Cent

NAXJA Forum User
Well, since AJ's currently not working to much on bumpers, what other ones out there besides the ARB will take out a deer with minor damage at cruising speeds? I understand nothing is unbreakable, but was wondering about C4x4's and their grill guard. How strong is it? I like how it protects the headlights.

plan on hitting dear?

small pederson said:
plan on hitting dear?

Ya, thats how we hunt down here in SE Ohio :cheers:

Actually, just looking for some cheap insurance, rather than replacing the whole front clip since I'm gonna be renting outside of athens next year. Have almost chalked up a few just driving to go hunting. Better luck in the jeep it seems than in the stands sometime.

Haven't hit any deer with my ARB yet - but it's only a matter of time in this area. Hit two deer with the pick-up in the last 3 years.

Pictures to come. LOL

r@m

how much lift do you have? id be more worried about the deer entering the cab. maybe you could weld some hooks or spikes on the front of your grill guard...

I have AJ's Offroad's bumper that AJ personally had on his Jeep. He's killed two deer at highway speeds, saving his family's life. This bumper is indestructable, I swear. :)

jeeprecent.JPG

Like the rep from ARB told me back in 99, the arb bumpers are kangaroo rated. Saw his TJ about an hour after he wacked a deer on the interstate at 70mph. Lotta hair and blood but no dents. I think the key is a welded on guard, not one bolted on, that seems to make all the difference. As for the height, well, consider that fiberglass header in front of the hood is expensive so I'd be more warm and fuzzy if I could see the top of the hoop.. :laugh3:

McFly said:
I have AJ's Offroad's bumper that AJ personally had on his Jeep. He's killed two deer at highway speeds, saving his family's life. This bumper is indestructable, I swear. :)

jeeprecent.JPG

Thats the same bumper that I was a week away from ordering from him when all that crap started happening. Now I believe it's to late as he's only building rails. Anyone hit one with a C4x4? Those guards are bolt on correct.

Truck season is always open.

any good steel bumper will hold up to a deer. It's the grille you need to worry about. You need a grille guard like the one shown above.

if you had hooks and spikes, you wouldnt even have to stop to load it up!

small pederson said:
if you had hooks and spikes, you wouldnt even have to stop to load it up!

Ya, and at the temps I was running, I coulda cooked it before I got home!
Thanks for the posts guys, i really wish AJ was building them again :mad:

I've hit one deer to date with mine. Worked awesome, shoved the deer right underneath the jeep. I've posted pics of it before, if you search should be able to find them.

The wrap-around headlight guards on the C4x4 grill guard would not stand up to a deer, unless it was bambi or something (vs bambi's folks), and even then the headlight guards would probably be destroyed in the process. The center grill guard should be OK though, but overall I wouldn't consider it to be "deer rated".

C4x4 does "custom" work though, similar to what AJ does/did, C4x4 just decided to make some "standard" products to offer. Just look in their Customers' Rigs section, they've done products for Toyotas, Fords, Scouts... pretty much whatever the customer wants. Just give Mike @ C4x4 a call (works better than email) and tell him what you're interested in.

To really have a grill/headlight guard that's going to be "animal rated" the headlight guard sections have to connect down to the bumper, like the ARB bullbar and that bumper above from AJ.

Back